Author Topic: the most wonderful time of the year?  (Read 4556 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
the most wonderful time of the year?
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:47:26 »
 bored bored bored seed order done winter digging done pruning done potato order done all pots washed tools sharpened  path edges all cut  bean trenches filled over winter onions weeded garlic weeded sheds painted trellis up next seasons project finished apart from spring planting and its raining hard  so stuck indoors looking through last years summer photos and watching utube allotment vids even spurs played yesterday so no decent football on the telly one silver lining its the first one day cricket international which for once england seem to be going ok at this point 57/1 of 9  how i long for spring
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: the most wonderful time of the year?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:35 »
You can come and do all the jobs I've still to do!
Would be lovely to look out on cleared and tidy beds! Rather than the choked and blackened beds I can see!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:35 »
You can come and do all the jobs I've still to do!
Would be lovely to look out on cleared and tidy beds! Rather than the choked and blackened beds I can see!

if you was on the sunshine coast id gladly help you sunloving

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:33 »
Been a bit heavy with the lime there haven't you Johnny ?  :sunny: :happy7:

Made that promised start this morning!

Sowed 80 Exhibition Onions, 80 Red Baron and 20 Sweet Peas  (2 varieties)

Now back in doors where I will remain until it is absolutely essentioal to go out!

Lots to do when you consider I am rewriting my website which is going to take months.

Meaning that's my winter months taken care of, at least there is  no chance of me getting bored for lack of something to do! :coffee2:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:32 »
Been a bit heavy with the lime there haven't you Johnny ?  :sunny: :happy7:

Made that promised start this morning!

Sowed 80 Exhibition Onions, 80 Red Baron and 20 Sweet Peas  (2 varieties)

Now back in doors where I will remain until it is absolutely essentioal to go out!

Lots to do when you consider I am rewriting my website which is going to take months.

Meaning that's my winter months taken care of, at least there is  no chance of me getting bored for lack of something to do! :coffee2:
well it needed doing  :drunken_smilie: i really hate cold dark days tg thats one reason we moved here its one of the dryest parts of the country the next village down is officially a desert getting less rain on average than the sahara im thinking of buying a holiday home abroad for some winter sunshine  go out boxing day return end of feb going to start looking sept this year ive lived abroad before however my days singing in bars to make a living have long gone the only thing that puts me off is how quickly i get bored and if i could stand 10 weeks of sitting around my wife thinks not  but going away every year with all that luggage is a right pain in the back so we shall see what 2017 brings a new start or more moaning early 2018 about the weather only time will tell

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 17:10:36 »
I hate winter too.  Currently decamped somewhere warmer.  Hotel has a lovely garden I really fancy doing a touch of weeding.  They planted out some petunias.  Next day they looked very droopy. But day three they have resurrected and look amazingly perky.   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 17:44:56 »
Spent today building tunnel cloches from free 10mm ply and pine(?) slats from free packing crates.
Design is a pair of ply barn style ends(profile from old chase cloche wires),about50mm wide, cut out with jigsaw. Slats run up in approx 32mmmx thickness of board(32mm?)x 1200mm. Five of these nailed between ply ends . 1000g clear polythene tacked on and wrapped around slats 1 &5. A solid ply end for each,a simple (hotbed) cast handle on ridge for transport. Heavy enough to resist recent winds (To 55mph!)
Before covering, all parts brushed with 'food grade' linseed oil(from horsey suppliers, its VAT free too!, and a little paraffin. Seems water repellent, should give extra few years life. Production so far is 14.
Variation planned to cover some with debris netting for ventilated protection and the waste from each sheet used to make some pea guards with 1?2 wire netting (yet to be sourced) Because of the barn shape they can be stacked together for storage and I plan to make a covering , 1 slightly larger version to protect the polythene from out of use sunshine scorch, using black butyl pond liner
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal