Author Topic: New Zealand spinach?  (Read 3678 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
New Zealand spinach?
« on: January 13, 2017, 15:28:19 »
We stayed on a lovely campsite in Galway last summer where the owners were passionate about the environment and every visitor was given a little packet of seeds to take away. We got New Zealand spinach seeds- just five very large seeds. Has anyone grown these?

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: New Zealand spinach?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 16:29:42 »
Yes, some time ago.

I found they did better if they fell on the soil from plants in the summer - so I reckon they do best with a bit of weathering to break down the seed coat.  The first year I sowed them they took several weeks to germinate, until I'd almost forgotten about them.

Personally, didn't enjoy them for eating purposes, although others did - it was 50/50.  Give them a go, anything new to grow is fun.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: New Zealand spinach?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 20:25:30 »
For me, they are the best tasting spinach bar true summer spinach. They are also much more fleshy, so even better than summer spinach in salads. Maybe a hint of pea flavour too.

You do need to pick 5 leaves to replace one spinach leaf, and you need to remove any seeds (in the axils) - unless they are really tiny they are woody.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal