Author Topic: Rhubarb Surprise  (Read 3365 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Rhubarb Surprise
« on: December 21, 2016, 17:49:10 »
In autumn 2015 I was given a new variety of rhubarb called Poultons Pride with the promise that it had a much longer growing and harvesting period than other varieties.

Well I will admit I was sceptical, but today (December 21st) I took a final small picking for this season. I have not been taking too much as the plant is still comparatively young but I am amazed to be getting anything so late.  My Timperley and Victoria rhubarb plants have long since disappeared to nothing more than a bump in the mulch. The Poulton still looks surprisingly healthy with a good number of bright red stems.

The catalogues often promise new varieties will give miraculous results, and all too often they disappoint. Of course this is only my personal experience, and it has been reasonably mild so far this winter but it has continued to grow where the others have totally given up. So if you love rhubarb, this does seem to be one that delivers on its claims.

Compliments of the season to all !!

Cheers

Beersmith

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 18:11:27 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Rhubarb Surprise
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 16:09:25 »
Well last night was a very sharp frost around here so I suspect that will put an end any further rhubarb growth.
When I left my allotment on Wednesday, it was looking healthy and about a yard wide. When I return I expect the hard frost will have seen it off for this year.

Anyway a snap taken on the 21st is attached.

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Rhubarb Surprise
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 09:33:19 »
Many thanks for the recommendation I love rhubarb.   

Bought some the other day, and it did not taste of much at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal