Author Topic: Broad Beans not growing  (Read 2385 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Broad Beans not growing
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:11:19 »
FOr the very first time I decided to try to grow some Broad Beans to "overwinter2 by planting in October.  I chose two varieties that I was assured were OK to go with (Aquadulce and Monica) and planted late October.

NOT ONe has gerinated and grown.  there is no sign that they have been dug up by anything.  I put for fertiliser on the patch in Early september.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong?  The patch is OK and not waterlogged or anything. 

I am new to growing broad beans and would welcome any advise or help.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Broad Beans not growing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:23:01 »
Normally there is no problem with Aquaduce apart from mice but I am not sure about the use of fertilizer at this time of year. I would be tempted to have a little rack round to see what has happened to the seed. I always use Aqaduce have not tried Monica.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:01 »
Always best to grow them in pots and plant out later, then there is not so much of a mouse problem. I would do some more in pots then plant out in the spring as it might be a bit late to put them out now.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:59 »
Thank you so much for that Laurie and Ace.  I will indeed try to grow some in pots for next year.  In the meantime I will have a rummage round to see if any of the seeds are still around.

Don't think there is much of a mouse problem, there are at least 6 cats continually prowling.  Come to think of it, germination for runner and french beans on another part of the plot this summer was not great.  Did MUCH better with plants.

thanks again
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:51:12 »
I agree with Laurie & Ace, particularly about the fertilser.

Think of it this way: Initially there are no roots or leaves to take up any fertilser, then when these (roots/leaves) do appear it is unlikely the fertiliser will be taken up because of light levels and temperature.

Then there is the issue that may occur if they do take lots of feeding on board at this timeof the year, the plants may become soft and lush, and  then are more susceptible to frost,disease and of course they will be more of an attraction to wild life.

I will indeed try to grow some in pots for next year

There is still plenty of time to do that now!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 19:11:21 »
I wouldn't be overly worried yet. Mine have only just popped up this week. It turned quite cold through November and that has slowed things down. I planted about 40 I think and so far have lost maybe 5 to mice or rats. I also started 15 in modules to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately the rodents have dug out 2 of those as well, so I had to move them. My friend went digging for hers this weekend, being concerned that they were taking their time. They turned out to be fine, just slow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal