Author Topic: Check out Deacons Nursery  (Read 3985 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Check out Deacons Nursery
« on: December 04, 2016, 17:01:54 »
I was looking for some new fruit trees at Deacons, 50% off all apple trees until mid January, guess where I am going tomorrow.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Check out Deacons Nursery
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 22:58:59 »
How are the apricots? OH was buying me one for my birthday in July  (still not got it!)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:17:18 »
Apricots are good, It's a wet weather job digging them up and packing them as they are in a poly tunnel and there is no rain forecast for here for a while. Apples are out in the fields and they dig each one up as they prepare the trees for postage from a big pile of orders waiting to be done, unless you go in and pester them for a tree straight away and take them away from their mail order work. I did not hold up production, I dug my own.  (Beauty of Bath).

Jockthebear

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:36:30 »
It's now almost 50 years since I first ordered fruit trees from Deacon's on the Isle of Wight. Despite being planted and grown-on in exposed gardens in Central Scotland they have done very well. It's now over 25 years since my last order but assuming the company's standards have been maintained- w
hich I think is very likely- I'd recommend them.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:57:20 »
It's now over 25 years since my last order but assuming the company's standards have been maintained- w
hich I think is very likely- I'd recommend them.

Similar story here:  Most of our trees were from Deacons 26 years ago.  One vine was mislabelled, everything else was perfect and all are growing and producing well.  Considering just how very different the soil on the IOW is, I might not have chosen Deacons had I thought about it.  All that mattered at the time was that they had the right varieties on the right rootstock.  And they certainly haven't let us down.  All trees adapted well to our soil and climate and produce well too.   

Welcome to A4A, Jockthebear  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 16:00:36 »
I noticed when I was digging out my tree the soil was very sandy, I know that area is sand down to about 4 foot with very little in the way of stones, then it turns to a solid slab of clay. I had to do a job in Godshill village which is where the nursery is and while digging out a huge hole for a pond I realised it was just sand so I filled my truck with it and used it for laying a patio I was building on another job. The pond was a doddle as well, I dug the clay out of the bottom and lined it. Saw it the other day 20 years later and it is still holding water.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal