Author Topic: Leek moth  (Read 4410 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Leek moth
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:39:12 »
Bad year with it this year. Any tips on prevention or do we have to give up on Leeks?
Gardening is the great leveller.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Leek moth
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 17:09:43 »
fleece cover when you plant them uncover when you harvest them ive found its the only way we suffer bad here on the sunshine coast
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 21:05:03 »
Thought as much. Ta.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:40:26 »
I cut the leeks in half even more if it is bad and the new growth comes up again nice and clean.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:59:52 »
I cut the leeks in half even more if it is bad and the new growth comes up again nice and clean.

Touch wood, we don't have a lot, but got it last year for the first time.  I did the same and with the same result.  I was surprised how fast the leeks regrew.  But it was a mild winter.  This is good advice, Ace. 

If (or should that be when) it gets worse here, I will net.  How fine does the net have to be? Fleece?  We also have rust  (slightly).  Does netting/fleecing help or make it worse?  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:30 »
So you just  cut the top off?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:03:45 »
So you just  cut the top off?

As far down as you can get away with, usually the bottom of the darkest bit of leaf. I was told this a couple of years ago when I picked some leeks and found the maggot tracks in the plant and told a neighbouring plotter. I done it as the crop look lost anyway and was surprised at the new growth coming up . The weather was warmer, so I do not know if it will work in the winter. But when they regrow the tracks are in the bit you usually throw away and the 'heart is nice and clean.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal