Author Topic: late planting bonus  (Read 2230 times)

ACE

• Hectare
late planting bonus
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:34 »
I lost my sprout seedlings due to my nice neighbour turning my watering system off when I was on holiday earlier in the year. He kept hearing water running and was worried I had a leak, it was the automatic watering system and he was not to know. Anyway when we got back most of my seedlings had withered away, so I chucked them and started again. Surprise, surprise they picked up on the compost heap so I planted the originals and I have some good Brussel sprouts coming on. The seeds I replaced also came up but a bit late really to put in, but I did and now I have these lovey little brussels  with no sprouts but the little round leaves are bug free and perfect. Waste not want not, I picked a bunch and we cooked them up. Excellent taste and texture, I remember now back in the early 50's that sprouts were used leaves and all, I suppose people got used to doing it during the war when anything edible was used. This is not a thing I usually do nowadays as there are plenty of alternatives for greens during the winter. Does anybody else eat sprout leaves?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: late planting bonus
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:55 »
Ace, that's great.  What a bonus out of a disaster. 

Oh yes, Brussels sprout tops according to suggestions in my gardening book are the first to be harvested.  The same gardening book also advocates picking and eating broad bean tops before black beans get to them and after flowers have developed.  Pea shoots and beetroot tops are similarly neglected yet delicious vegetables in their own right.  And a favourite in Spain are turnip tops, there are even some specially bred just for the greens and don't make a turnip root.  It is by now well known that radish seed pods are thick, lovely and crunchy to eat and similar to the turnips there are varieties that bypass the big root stage and go straight to flowering.

Not 'famine foods' at all, but good eating in many cuisines.  And from a gardener's point of view, any veg that needs as long in the ground as sprouts, might as well repay the space and attention by giving more than one crop.   :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 20:00:04 »
If you've got the room, when sprouts are picked, knock the stems over, all in one direction and the "scars" will often produce a sprout shoot which is like a whole new plant. Useful if all else is exhausted. Pigeons love them !, so could produce a "second harvest" in the right hands. See Jamie Olivers 'Flying steak sandwich' for more ideas.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:42 »
Was reading well until I got to the mention of the cook with the big tongue. Soon lost interest then.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal