Author Topic: Moving house and changing map location  (Read 4886 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Moving house and changing map location
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:40:52 »
We have moved to France and, being a bit blonde, I can't update the location on the map.  Can anyone help?

Garden is a large expanse of mostly blank canvas.  There's a large square fenced off for chucks and a hen house which needs weather proofing and then we'll have a veggie plot and shed.   Trying to persuade OH we need to design it like Adam's new veg plot that's been featured on GW lately.  Either way, I want easy access and raised, no dig beds for when I'm too creaky to bend and dig.

At the mo it's full of long grass and weeds and lots of nettles so I think it will be fertile.  I have broad beans and sweet peas to sow and over winter and have bought 10 each of 3 kinds of strawberries to take us from May to October.   We've brought a purple gooseberry and there are a few currants, probably red, and a grapevine but we need to find some blackberries and rhubarb and blackcurrants to keep OH happy.

There's an unidentified plum and a cherry and a walnut tree and a fig with no fruits which needs a good prune to sort it out and we'll be looking for apples and pears to grow.

Any other crops I can sow now?  Given I have nowhere to grow them yet except some pots.

Edit to remove personal information
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:52:35 by pumpkinlover »
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Moving house and changing map location
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:20:32 »
Sorry Obelixx, can't help, but would like to wish you much happiness in your new home and garden.   :sunny:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:23:41 »
Thanks.  Looking good so far.  Lovely neighbours, including cattle and horses. friendly people at the local council for admin and recycling - we've already bought 3 compost bins from them - and very friendly people in shops and markets and service providers.   Weather good too.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 13:55:19 »
good luck in your new venture  sounds fantastic cauliflower barcelona can be sown late oct to give you harvest late may hope this helps 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 18:10:23 »
Very jealous- we've had some lovely holidays in the Vendee.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 23:30:16 »
No personal experience of autumn/winter in that area but research suggests that the maritime influence will make it warmer than Hampshire(my location) and wetter, with stronger light on most days. This would suggest that some salads, pak choi, a nd trays of micro greens could be an option, especially if a shelter ,hoop house, cold frame or tunnel cloche is available. If you wish to wait cultivation/mulching for "no-dig", then why not create some "grow bags", putting compost/manure into poly sacks(from your farmer neighbours), being then raised beds which are easily moved, especially if laid on boards
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:57:22 »
Hi Obbelix, I have removed the address from your post, as this forum can be read by anyone, not just us lovely gardeners :glasses9:
If you go on to your profile and see the map which has your old location then click on the "pin" it should disappear. now safe that profile. then re-open your profile and put the pin on your new location.
hope this helps and best wishes in your new home  :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:13 »
Pumpkinlover - have tried as you suggested but my Belgian pin stubbornly refuses to disappear.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal