Author Topic: cranberries  (Read 2021 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
cranberries
« on: October 15, 2016, 15:58:32 »
just acquired a cranberry bush. New plant to me. I have planted it in a large container and plan to keep in cold GH until spring. Any care advice welcome and also propagation.

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
Re: cranberries
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 13:17:48 »
Cranberry bushes are bog plants, they are best in constantly moist very acidic soil.
 I would advise growing them in a pot with ericaceous compost and water only with rain water. I might even go to the extent of placing the pot on a saucer to keep the compost moist.
When grown commercially at harvesting the fields are flooded and the berries just float off.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 13:54:31 »
Cranberry bushes are bog plants, they are best in constantly moist very acidic soil.
 I would advise growing them in a pot with ericaceous compost and water only with rain water. I might even go to the extent of placing the pot on a saucer to keep the compost moist.
When grown commercially at harvesting the fields are flooded and the berries just float off.

Thanks Humbug. Very interesting. I have a lot of Oasis that I put in th bottom of containers and this sounds ideal for cranberries. Should I keep it drier over winter though?

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 14:53:30 »
Probably a safe bet, I suspect they are pretty hardy as they are grown commercially up in Canada so the roots may have to put up with being frozen through winter.

6sixty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 15:25:07 »
I am thinking of getting a cranberry, this is good advice, thank you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal