Author Topic: sun dried tomatoes  (Read 3238 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
sun dried tomatoes
« on: September 28, 2016, 19:57:22 »
has anyone tried drying tomatoes? Is it possible in the greenhouse or better in the oven?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: sun dried tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:51:50 »
I do mine in the dehydrator and they come out pretty well.  So nice to have them on a pizza in the middle of winter.  I wouldn't leave in a greenhouse as I think they would take far to long and end up mouldy.   I did do some in the oven a while back but it took a while to figure out the best temp and I forget what I settled on.. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-dry-tomatoes-in-the-oven-233887 and others may point you in the right direction.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:25 »
I do mine in the dehydrator and they come out pretty well.  So nice to have them on a pizza in the middle of winter.  I wouldn't leave in a greenhouse as I think they would take far to long and end up mouldy.   I did do some in the oven a while back but it took a while to figure out the best temp and I forget what I settled on.. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-dry-tomatoes-in-the-oven-233887 and others may point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the link. From my research a dehydrator is the preferred method but I don't have one. Is this specically for kitchen use? Do you use it for drying fruit (which is also quite expensive to buy)? Apples, pears, plums etc are in plentiful supply around here at present.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:21 »
We bought a pretty cheap model and I mostly use it for drying toms and chillies but we have done sliced apples and the like.  They turn out nice but we really should start using it more - I think there are a few threads about dehydrators and their use if you have a search..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 16:20:10 »
i think my dehydrator was around £30 i wouldnt be without it now berries tomatoes fruit all dry really well and very cheap to run
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 19:25:34 »
i think my dehydrator was around £30 i wouldnt be without it now berries tomatoes fruit all dry really well and very cheap to run
It's very tempting as I love dried fruit. First load of conference pears arrived today from next door. I made fondant aux poire but there is alimit to how much one can use.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:26:43 »
I'm tempted by a solar dehydrator like http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar but this one can dry 5 pounds a day - I'd be happy with what I could do in my oven - say 1kilo - so I'm thinking of scaling it down to a 1 metre cube for storage.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal