Author Topic: next season  (Read 6020 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
next season
« on: September 23, 2016, 14:10:54 »
today i started my winter squash bed for next season by the end of the month the bed will be 16ftx16ft a series of trenches filled with this years spent foliage  topped with pigeon poo then leaf mould then blinded with soil im interested  in your starts to next season and how your planning for next seasons crops
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: next season
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:53:49 »
Hiya I am planning on building 4 more raised beds in the Spring for early sowings on the area where I grew spuds this year. I've just made 4 raised beds in the same area ready for planting out 2 types of cabbages, calebrese & broc. The spuds next year will go to a different area on my plot so I will be preparing the ground for them soon too. I'm in the process of building very finely meshed wooden framed covers for my brassica beds....even the diamond back moth shouldn't be able to get in  :tongue3:
This season 15 out of 20 new Autumn raspberry plants failed so I will be taking my refund voucher to the garden centre soon to buy some more & try again....hoping they will do better this time. I plan to buy 2 green gooseberry bushes as I only have red ones at the moment. Next season I want to try to grow some new things like the soup peas I have very kindly been sent to try.
I have frozen extra produce this year but next season I will try to make some chutneys & jams to give as xmas gifts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 18:44:28 »
today started one of my wish list tasks you know ones that you would like to do but never get the time when i put  the patio in my new plot the lawn on my other plot wasnt the same level  so today i started to level it upto the patio think i will finish it by the weekend  then i can seed it

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 22:41:21 »
today started one of my wish list tasks you know ones that you would like to do but never get the time when i put  the patio in my new plot the lawn on my other plot wasnt the same level  so today i started to level it upto the patio think i will finish it by the weekend  then i can seed it

Your post made me laugh!  I have this wish list that OH will never do!  I think I need lessons from you because unless I do it, it will never get done.   :BangHead:   :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 13:40:52 »
wish list task completed today all level rolled sowed and covered for germination should be mowing it by mid november

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 15:16:43 »
I have made a start at putting my beds to bed for the winter as you can see here:

This is Plot 20 which I plan to be my only plot next year.

As I mentioned in another thread I have renewed my Strawberry bed you can see it along side the 12x8 greenhouse.

This Plot 19 which I am not planning on using next year but I am keeping the plot in my name for another year in case I need  some additional growing space.

I have arranged for a couple of ladies on the plot to use the top three beds which as you can see I have dug over for them.

The bottom two beds I will dig over once the Chrysants are finished, which should be within the next two weeks.

So hopefully by the end of October my beds will have been put to bed until around April 2017.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 18:44:29 »
Most of my plot is still being used for this year's crops.  Have dug over the old spud beds, planted some overwintering onions and begun the great manure collection - other than that it all in the conceptualisation stage atm - that is to say I am doing nothing!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:03:20 »
I'm the same as you BarriedaleNick I have things growing in almost every bed on my plot at the moment. 2 raised beds have green manure growing in them but the rest have crops in. I have cleared my squash bed & put it to rest for Winter & also one of this years spud beds. I am picking raspberries nearly every day & chard a couple of times a week & also Calvero Nero so I am still visiting my plot most days. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:59:45 »
I'm the same as you BarriedaleNick I have things growing in almost every bed on my plot at the moment. 2 raised beds have green manure growing in them but the rest have crops in. I have cleared my squash bed & put it to rest for Winter & also one of this years spud beds. I am picking raspberries nearly every day & chard a couple of times a week & also Calvero Nero so I am still visiting my plot most days. 
crystalmoon  most days lol us sunshine coasties visit or plots everyday no matter  what the weather rain which is very rare and snow even rarer never the less even christmas day around 11 we meet up wish a merry xmas a nip of brandy and  harvest our veg for dinner  :coffee2: :coffee2: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :sunny:

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:50:21 »
Hi Johhny your site sounds so lovely I am a bit envious....I haven't seen another soul at my site for a couple of weeks now!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 10:27:48 »
Hi Johhny your site sounds so lovely I am a bit envious....I haven't seen another soul at my site for a couple of weeks now!
What not even for digging Crystalmoon?  That's sad.  Yes, a lot of folks put their plot to bed until spring.  I know you are a little uneasy whether the site might flood over winter, as nobody else seems to have any winter crops.  Has anybody planted garlic or shallots?  Sorry it's a bit lonely on your site.  That's what I miss most - don't get me wrong, I love my large garden and the freedom to just pop out and do a bit here and there.  But often wish I still had the company of other gardeners like when we had our allotment.

Next season is still a long time away.  On the other hand next season is now, because crops I have sown recently will be harvested in spring.  Turnips, winter salading, rocket etc.  And when it gets a bit colder, the garlic and shallots will go in.

But the one suggestion I want to take up for next year is trying for really early tomatoes (just a few plants) with Red Alert.  And for early greenhouse cucumbers   :wave:   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:32:39 by galina »

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:40:43 »
Hi Galina in the Spring there was usually a couple of people around when ever I went to my plot who would wave, in the Summer a few more people were regulars & nice chats were had....but now it is Autumn it is a lonely place. My old site was often empty but it only had about 9 plots so that was to be expected. My new site is sooooo much bigger so when I am there alone it can feel a bit odd but I am sure I will get used to it & I have started taking my radio down for company. I had a walk around all of the plots the other day & very few have any signs of anything edible still growing on them now the pumpkins have gone so I think most people dig them over & then leave alone for Winter. My plot stands out a bit with all my raised beds covered with nets etc its a bit like a mini campsite of small tents lol. I am really enjoying growing the Winter veg so far so unless some disaster happens like bad flooding I think I will continue to do so even if I am the only one doing it at my site.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 12:37:42 »
But the one suggestion I want to take up for next year is trying for really early tomatoes (just a few plants) with Red Alert.  And for early greenhouse cucumbers   :wave:   

Three or more red alert plants in the greenhouse should give you a nice early crop!!

Meanwhile I have planted my garlic, onion sets and a row of shallots but with the nights drawing in and busy weekends I have been really pushed to get to the plot at all.
Still site day on Saturday!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 19:17:58 »
thanks crystal we had rain today but still had around 30 plot holders on the site i make coffee at 11o'clock anyone can come along somedays  we have 9 today was 12 and can have up to 20 it gets a bit pushed for seats but we have a chat and a bit of banter  we are only a small site around 80 ten rod plots and 20 five rod however they will have to fend for themselves this weekend im away from friday for sons wedding 

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 22:29:03 »
There are 4 of us on our field who work our plots in winter. There are a few more people up now digging and clearing, but I am used to being on my own on the field most of the time. I have four 1.2m x 5m beds of edibles going/overwintering, plus there are a lot of other jobs I want to do and winter is a really good time for them. I almost prefer the winter months - there's a lot less anxiety about what's growing and no bother about weeds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal