Author Topic: Can anybody recommend an indestructible spade?  (Read 6292 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Can anybody recommend an indestructible spade?
« on: September 18, 2016, 21:23:39 »
Having just broken my third spade of the year I am hoping somebody can recommend something that will last. I know they often come with a 5 or 10 year guarantee, but I just don't want the hassle of sending for a replacement. It doesn't really matter how much it costs, so long as it lasts. Thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Can anybody recommend an indestructible spade?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 21:47:39 »
I am not into brand names but my choice is a stainless steel spade with a wooden split Dee handle.I am on my second spade in 48 years, and so far as I know my daughter is still using my first one which had worn down to about the size of a border spade, but was fine for her postage stamp sized garden.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 22:22:08 »
It will be Bulldog or Spear&Jackson.
Drop forged with deep forged socket, preferably in carbon steel. Available with an ash Dee handle, or tubular steel for contractors.
It should be used for digging. If you need to cut tree roots, lift or cut paving slabs, or pry up fence posts, other tools are available.
To keep it clean, bright and shiny, use it often.
Personally, I am moving towards "no-dig". It seems to suit.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:31 »
If you are breaking them I would avoid stainless steel and go for drop forged deep socket type.

Bulldog still use the same drop forge when they were actually made in the U.K. but the actual forge has been relocated to India apparently.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 19:03:39 »
You may find more opinion here:
www.FredShed.co.uk,
published by Fred Walden.
I do not have any interest in this site beyond the fascinating detail provided.My days of commercial involvement in this industry are long past.However, I broadly agree with his conclusions and they are supported by my personal experience. It is truly disturbing to know that we do not have the inclination to produce such items,The old smiths known by their brand names, Fussell,Elwell,Tyzack,Brades etc must be turning in their graves along with generations of farmers and gardeners who lovingly used and maintained their tools. The best value you will find is to collect remaining examples and use them. Bequeath them to your grand children, or teach them "no-dig"!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 21:02:53 »
t. I know they often come with a 5 or 10 year guarantee, but I just don't want the hassle of sending for a replacement.

For me it was no hassle.  I informed them it had broken within the ten year guarantee.  They asked for a couple of photos to verify what I had said and to see where the weak points of their forks are.  Then they sent a replacement by courier which arrived within a week.  Best of all it came with a ten year guarantee!

I can only praise their customer service.

Winecap, if your soil is so heavy that it breaks spades, have you considered switching to using a fork?  Forks are more suited to heavier soils than spades.  Of course much is personal preference and forks are not indestructable either as has been shown.  Just a thought.  :wave:

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 22:45:33 »
Thanks for all your comments. I was of the opinion that stainless was the way to go, but apparently not for strength. My soils not too bad really, but the last spade went crunch when I was turning over where the peas had been. Was expecting that to be an easy job. Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Have just placed an order and will post due praise if it lasts the year. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 04:54:00 »
A  stainless is ok for digging in well cultivated soil I have a Joseph Bentley and very happy with it.  But use old spade for heavy work.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 06:25:52 »

For me it was no hassle.  I informed them it had broken within the ten year guarantee.  They asked for a couple of photos to verify what I had said and to see where the weak points of their forks are.  Then they sent a replacement by courier which arrived within a week.  Best of all it came with a ten year guarantee!

I can only praise their customer service.

Forgot to say, it was Spears and Jackson. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:43 »
I am heavy handed with tools, so when I dig a large area if I am not using the Asian hoe I use a contractors shovel, steel shaft and a curved blade stops them breaking. For small areas I converted a trenching tool by cutting the long blade down a bit.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:28:48 »
My "old spade" is also a trenching spear and jackson.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal