Author Topic: sungold a red alterntive  (Read 9074 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: sungold a red alterntive
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 16:03:45 »
another one on the list thanks john will get around to trying them all either this season coming or next we may have some rain tonight so had to pick the ripe ones still got 4 times this to ripen so fingers crossed for fair weather
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 16:25:19 »
I thought of you Johnny when I took this picture knowing how you like to grow and show tomatoes.

Perhaps you might be able to knock up a frame for next years show!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 16:40:07 »
I thought of you Johnny when I took this picture knowing how you like to grow and show tomatoes.

Perhaps you might be able to knock up a frame for next years show!

intresting yes will see if i can get it on the brief lol

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 15:03:15 »
Suncherry Premium F1 is about as good as they come in my book, excellent production and healthy plants too. They are certainly on a par sweet-wise but, though they taste great, they don't quite have the same tang combination as Sungold. I find Sweet Aperitif are also excellent as are Piccolo F1 and Floridity F1, which for me, are all way up there as must grows.

I've not tried Pink Charmer, but I'll keep a look out for some seeds, thanks for the tip.
taken note of said varieties and will strive to give them a go over the next couple of seasons thanks for the input

I agree with the list though old Gardeners Delight is still a contender - and available cheaply as well-grown plants so you can grow then from cuttings. So is Sungold of course.

I rate Piccolo/Piccolini highly because the taste is definitely different (some might not like it).

Piccolo are also the best of many reasons I know for not growing blight resistant varieties - not just because they taste 100x better than Ferline et al. - but because out of all the good tomatoes they are the only one you can buy in the shops (even in a bad blight year) and they are still 90x better than home grown blight-resistant ones.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 11:59:27 »
ok we have all grown to love sungold however this year i having been trying to find the holy grail a red tom as sweet as sungold well i think i might have found one  but its pink  pink charmer it  is nearly as sweet as sungold when its very ripe has anyone else found a red rival to the tom of gold

The latest Plants of Distinction catalogue is advertising exactly that  - a red tom as sweet as sungold.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 14:27:29 »
ok we have all grown to love sungold however this year i having been trying to find the holy grail a red tom as sweet as sungold well i think i might have found one  but its pink  pink charmer it  is nearly as sweet as sungold when its very ripe has anyone else found a red rival to the tom of gold
e latest Plants of Distinction catalogue is advertising exactly that  - a red tom as sweet as sungold.

Cheers.
thanks vinlander the catalogue came in the week but not had a chance to look yet ill give them a go

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal