Author Topic: Dehydrator - always takes much longer  (Read 4941 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Dehydrator - always takes much longer
« on: September 08, 2016, 22:07:56 »
HI - I am finding that everything takes much much longer to dehydrate than the instructions suggest. Is this a common thing or might I be doing something wrong? I have thus far tried vegetable crisps, tomatoes, and raspberries. Raspberries seem to take forever!
Also has anyone got a particular veg or fruit that they really like dehydrating or a particular recipe? I need some inspiration.
Thanks

pumkinlover

Re: Dehydrator - always takes much longer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 13:05:47 »
I loved the apple from last year. It seemed to take for ever to slice the apples and peel them. Not perfect specimens hence the length of time, but very nice.
I think that they took longer than the book said to dry too.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 13:16:20 »
ive found it can take up to double what it says in the book never done anything yet that has took the time in the recipe
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 14:05:27 »
I loved the apple from last year. It seemed to take for ever to slice the apples and peel them. Not perfect specimens hence the length of time, but very nice.
I think that they took longer than the book said to dry too.

I've never looked back since getting one of these brilliant hand crank apple "processing" gizmos ... core, peel and turn an apple in to one long spiral ring in about 10 seconds - you can choose whether to have the peel on or off and it's as good to make apple pies as it is for drying as apple rings (although these apple rings don't join up, soyou just cut the spiral in to neat sections)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 15:04:26 »
Mine has a temp setting on it so you can speed it up but in general it takes longer than suggested.  Except the last lot of toms I did which were like crisps after 24 hrs..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 08:57:20 »
I have been tempted by the peeler gadget for a while, but my apples are usually windfalls and moth eaten. Must have another look though!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 09:45:07 »
The peeler/corer is fine if you have to discard maggoty bits of windfalls, just break those bits of the spiral off - but they don't work if the apples have large bruises on them (the peeler applies a pressure to the skin which can go right in to very soft apple flesh making the whole thing go wrong!)

byrd2park

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 04:09:37 »
the thickness of the fruit slices and the water content could be the deciding factor is how long it takes to finish drying each type and variety of fruit.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 18:26:17 »
Thanks for all the comments. I do have an apple peeler thing and it will be in use soon. Do you put the apple in lemon juice first to stop it browning? Also I have found that dried fruit does soften up a little in plastic bags, I presume because I don't get all of the air out (although I try). A book on dehydrating mentions using vacuum pack bags and oxygenator things. I am a bit reluctant to spend more money on these but otherwise concerned that the dried things won't actually last/will get mouldy. Again would be grateful for any advice!
thanks

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 13:45:46 »
I felt like this last year Gwynleg and put the apple in the freezer till ready to use. Just done some tomatoes, but have not dried them completely so might do the same.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 18:27:22 »
With the dried apple I find we are eating it very fast! It tastes really good as a snack.
I want to do some crisps of beetroot, parsnip, potato, courgettes etc. For those that do this - do you just cut them very thin and dry or do you coat them in oil or spices or anything? Mixed results when I tried it before!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal