Author Topic: I love heather!  (Read 4766 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
I love heather!
« on: August 31, 2016, 16:33:07 »
I couldn't resist gathering  a few little sprigs of the different heathers  we found today growing just in one spot in the mountains.  So took me back to the heather bed we started in Herts, 20 years ago now, with at least 30 different bought heathers.  The bed was beautiful, and at the back we'd planted probably 200+ daffs and narcissi. The  new owner of the house dug the lot up immediately and turned it to grass.  A bit sad. 

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: I love heather!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 18:39:42 »
Regarding the new owner..." There's one in every village"
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:19 »
What a wally! its not like it is that high maintenance. I have made a heather bed in every house I have lived in except this one........... hm...... I wonder.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 14:27:52 »
We have sold our house and discovered that not only are they not gardeners but they don't want to keep my twice monthly garden helper who has horti qualifications and brings me lots of swaps.   They will also bring their hens and a goose!

I've been taking cuttings and divisions and collecting seed and putting stuff in pots and I will not be coming back to see the devastation.

Didn't have a heather bed as this garden is alkaline but it's full of other wonderful stuff as well as fruit bushes, trees and canes and strawberries and rhubarb and some well composted veggie beds.
Obxx - Vendée France

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 18:13:55 »
Oh, Obelix, that is so hard.  I think the only way to look at it is "there is a season for everything" - you have had the gift of this garden (for how many years?), you used it, you treasured it, and you nurtured it.  It has given you so much joy, and nothing can take away that joy and the memories.  You will have them for the rest of your life.  If the time has come to hand it on, so be it, but as I say, that is so very hard.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:49:16 »
Probably less work than the grass which will need constant mowing.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 21:34:31 »
Hi Peanuts , you must start again !  A new Heather bed / area ...begin again ...collect your old favourites and treat yourself to some of the lovely new varieties . 
   You,ve got me looking at them again now too !   :sunny: Debbie   :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 14:37:14 »
Just back from two weeks in Ireland- beautiful heather there!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 16:34:13 »
Here are a few of my collection;

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal