Author Topic: Badger Damage to Crops  (Read 4470 times)

BockingWill

• Not So New ...
Badger Damage to Crops
« on: August 30, 2016, 14:32:55 »
We ave overnight lost our whole crop of Sweetcorn to what we believe is/are Badgers despite putting wire around the patch. They have totally trampled everything to bits and eaten all the cobs. They have then proceeded to dig whiles in the late carrot bed to defecate.

Not too sure what else we could have done to stop this as they are very determined animals and also very savvy as they waited until the cobs were virtually ripe.

So great sadness all round as for us the picking and eating of the cobs is one of the big highlights of the growing year.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Badger Damage to Crops
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 14:47:39 »
So sorry to hear of your loss, I had a very very good crop 3 years ago and had wire netting etc. , thought all was safe but having taken home a few cobs and found them just right the next day the whole lot had gone. We get a visit almost each night , at the moment they are at my leeks having cleared the black berries , broad beans and had several goes at the potatoes. We cannot have carrots but at least the exercise does good. We have tried about everything with no success.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 16:15:49 »
I was devastated when the badger uprooted a good part of my patch 2 years ago. OH put a single strand of electric fence wire round the perimeter, and that worked. I've had no trouble subsequently although we haven't used it the last 2 summers, but I don't know whether that's because he learned to stay away or has moved on. Worth a try, though.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 16:53:41 »
Really sorry to hear that ... it's definitely one of their favourite things and when they descend on you it's normally curtains for your corn!

I'm fortunate in that I don't have badgers on my plot, but the mice/rats/other nibbly things have eaten most of the kernels in a far more tidy fashion ... seemingly knowing exactly the moment they become ripe.

I think sweetcorn is just too nice for it's own good.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 16:55:03 »

Sorry to read that the badgers have destroyed your hard work,we are sort of in the undecided camp as the one in the picture so far has only been on the concrete patio scoffing the birds bread but 2 of them have been digging the lawn inside our back fence for worms ..its just that so far they have not ventured 30 yds right to where I grow my meagre crops,yes,i am living in denial I guess and know that once the birds food has gone they will start to sniff out what else is on offer.

my fishing friend who is a lifelong new forester is far more .....grab a gun.....end of.....the same as he does with the foxes that enter his cottage garden but I love animals and could not kill one.......

I hope you find a workable solution that allows you to still enjoy your growing.

Gazza

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 15:28:54 »
Guns are out of the question as they are protected also you cannot shoot on allotments. We have tried most legal ideas without success , we just have to live with nature.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 17:57:04 »
Small seems to have the best idea!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:49 »
Very good idea but how long would electric wiring  stay on an allotment also would you need to take out insurance because of other people touching and getting a shock.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 17:54:20 »
They shouldn't be anywhere near it, and they'd certainly get a shock if they told me they were suing!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 09:00:30 »
I'd better make it clear that I garden at home, not at an allotment....but anyway, the shock from one strand of electric fence wire is barely more than a twitch....we used to use 2 strands to keep the pigs in, and flexinet netting to keep foxes out of the hen runs. Goats learned the flexinet, too, but sheep never did, they just barged through. Happy days!

BockingWill

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 21:41:31 »
Thanks everyone for the sympathy - we will keep searching for an answer but must say it doesn't seem very hopeful

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal