Author Topic: Been given a mixed collection of well chitted organic potatoes-Winter spuds?  (Read 2199 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi everyone an allotment neighbour has sadly hurt his back so he gave me a bag of well chitted potatoes he had been planning to plant now for xmas spuds. I have never tried this so need some advice on how to do it please.
I couldn't ask my plot neighbour how to go about growing them as he was in so much pain I could see he needed to get home as soon as pos. The bag is mixed varieties, I've not got a clue what they are. Jane 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Hope he's better soon. They should be first earlies to give a reasonable chance of a crop. In a polytunnel?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Try to grow them, nothing to lose.  I concur with Saddad's advice to grow them in a well ventilated polytunnel, because blight is the worst problem for potatoes at this time.   :wave:

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Thanks saddad & galina. I don't have a polytunnel but I could create a small plastic tunnel over the two beds I popped them into yesterday but it would only be about 2 to 3 feet high. I have got fleece to help to keep them warm later in the year & straw to pop round them. I hadn't thought about blight which is silly of me considering there is a lot of it at my site & I have decided to grow earlies next year because of it  :BangHead:
When does blight stop being a problem?????

I do hope to get some spuds from them mainly to give to my plot neighbour as he said he always grows spuds for his xmas dinner. The 2 small raised beds I popped them in were due to have green manure sown in them so I did think nothing ventured nothing gained & just pooped them in. The beds are plastic sided which keeps the soil warmer.
Jane

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen

When does blight stop being a problem?????

Jane

Blight stops below 10C temperature.  Don't keep the plants warm for as long as the weather is still growing weather and no frosts to kill the foliage.  Keeping them dry is important.  Well ventilated is important, not enclosed, but with a 'roof' over them.  Don't tuck the plants in before frosts start because that makes blight worse and keeps moisture in. 

Blight spores blow in, land on the plants but only get activated by consistent moist conditions.  If you manage to keep the plants dry, spores cannot turn into blight.  This will get more difficult when general autumn conditions increase humidity generally (more rain, misty or foggy starts to the day, shorter days with less drying sunshine).  Drying off moisture and ventilation are the most important aspects as well as  blight resistant varieties (over which you have no choice in this case).  Good luck  :wave: 

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Thanks so much Galina xJane

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal