Author Topic: Late blackcurrants  (Read 1817 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Late blackcurrants
« on: August 27, 2016, 18:14:35 »
Just read that there are some varieties which are cropping now third week in August. 

Is anyone cropping them now, if so what variety can you recommend?

Mine are long since eaten. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Late blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 21:51:30 »
Has anyone tried Ben Tirran it is said to be the latest cropping variety.  Has anyone tried this variety?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:54 »
I've ordered a Malling Jet blackcurrant, an older variety that is also said to be the latest cropping. According to the Chris Bowers website it has been superseded by newer varieties which I take to mean more even ripening like Ben Tirran. (no problem for me as blackcurrants ripening over time avoids a glut)

I obviously won't be able to comment on this variety until this time next year. It will be planted over winter and I would expect a small evaluation crop next year. Yes I know you are supposed to cut them down after planting so the plant establishes but I'm impatient sometimes and blackcurrants are pretty tough. :happy7:

Spreading the harvest time using a combination of varieties is well worth it. I have a very early kind that ripens as early as mid to late june and another that ripens mid july. So if Malling jet takes the picking season into august that is great.

Blackcurrants are so useful, extremely tasty and easy to grow. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 04:00:44 »
Many thanks for your reply.  I shall have a look out for Malling Jet.  How is it with reversion virus?  Several people brought blackcurrant on site with bit bud so really need something with resistance.

Looked at the Chris Bowers website, wow there are a huge number of blackcurrants to choose from. 

I am a real fan so extending the season will be great.  They are so easy to propagate too.  They need pruning and every twig turns into a new bush. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal