Author Topic: Shaded area  (Read 4453 times)

grumpaflump

Shaded area
« on: August 27, 2016, 18:12:56 »
I have just cleared a fully shaded part of my allotment on the understanding that the trees on the boundary were coming down but alas this is now not the case......what suggestions do you have for a totally shaded area with excellent soil...answers on a postcard please...many thanks :blob7:

Paul_D

• Not So New ...
Re: Shaded area
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:57:28 »
Sorry i cant offer any advise but i'm interested to see what others might suggest. 

We took on a triangular plot last year on the edge of the site which borders a nature reserve with 40-50ft trees along the West edge. We get decent sun until midday but not much after that.

A lot of crops we tried have grown at an angle, presumably to reach for the sun.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:14 »
How far away are the trees that cast the shade? If the shade from them is the only problem, and not dryness caused by the root run and overhanging branches, then salad stuff should do OK, and what about blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes? They don't need full sun, do they?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 10:17:31 »
I'm not sure if it would work but perhaps growing things that tend to bolt in full sun would work out ok

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 12:03:28 »
Hi that's dissapointing.
Can you prune the trees back? If it's re ally full shade then can you have your shed or compost heap here? It's very hard to grow anything to eat in full shade I'd try raspberries, tuber artichokes and asparagus. Try to think about things that fruit or flower early because you get more sunlight before the leaves are fully out on the trees. Maybe a shady spot to sit on sunny days with some bulbs? Good luck hope you find something that can thrive for you. X sunloving

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 14:54:33 »
My rhubarb does well in dry shade ...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 19:19:09 »
as small suggested currants gooseberries rhubarb blackberries all can be grown quite  successfully  in part shade
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 12:14:37 »
The veg I've seen recommended as actually enjoying partial shade are peas and courgettes (not squash/pumpkins etc. that need to ripen). I grow them against the N side of my polytunnel and they do seem to be quite happy with a few hours of shade.

I've tried asparagus in dappled shade and sometimes I don't get a single spear until mid-May.

Nothing much will grow under trees but grapes will happily grow to and through them (if you have a long enough ladder to pick the result).

I've also read about someone who retaliated against the annoyance of a 4m hawthorn hedge by grafting apples, medlars and other rose family fruits onto them. The same goes for blackthorn and damsons etc.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 10:37:19 »
I would agree about Rhubarb and shade. I have a similar area in my veg plot at home; next to a hedge, north(ish) facing and affected by nearby trees. havign tried lots of things there i have settled on rhubarb as the best thing to grow there, although i am thinking about trying gooseberries as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal