Author Topic: Pepper advice needed  (Read 2298 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Pepper advice needed
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:34:47 »
Hi everyone, I've got a large Carolina Reaper pepper plant that is fruiting brilliantly. I want to try to over winter it, the plant is to large for a windowsill would it survive in a unheated greenhouse. :wave:
Paul

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Pepper advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 13:26:06 »
Hi everyone, I've got a large Carolina Reaper pepper plant that is fruiting brilliantly. I want to try to over winter it, the plant is to large for a windowsill would it survive in a unheated greenhouse. :wave:

Rather than chancing the unheated greenhouse, perhaps you could prune it to fit the windowsill.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 14:12:22 »
Rather than chancing the unheated greenhouse, perhaps you could prune it to fit the windowsill.

To a point I agree but I would not keep it on the windowsill as such, as it might get too cold. A table in front of the window would be a  better proposition and this will ensure it gets maximum light.

But then again I can't see the point of overwintering it as they are so easy to grow from seed.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 14:22:29 »
California reaper is a C.chinense - one of the species least likely to survive a cold winter - keeping it frost free isn't anything like enough - as soon as you see the plant slowing down you should remove nearly all of the fruits and trim it back to a manageable size for when it moves to your windowsill a few weeks later (yes, if it is in the ground you can dig it out at this point and pot it up with something rich and well-draining - adding 30-50% perlite/vermiculite to ordinary potting compost is good).

Ideally you need to reproduce the winter conditions in the Caribbean areas of its origins (which is why mountain species like C.pubescens are so much easier) - with lots of light and heat (not what we would call winter at all). A sunny windowsill might work as long as come dark, you have it the same side of the curtains as you are.

Unless you go the whole hog and create a mini-Jamaica for it with heat and LEDs it will probably sulk for months in Spring and next year's seedlings are likely to overtake it by April - and that gets to be really disappointing...

C. pubescens doesn't sulk.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 14:46:04 »
Also don't try and overwinter any peppers or chillies, I have done in the past but they didn't fruit much before the ones grown from seeds that year!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 15:10:46 »
A friend used to cut them back hard and winter them in her porch.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 17:39:58 »

Have you tired eating the things? Fantastically hot - really good for making hot sauce but I can eat them fresh at all.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 17:49:47 »
me id reseed next year however what have you got to lose if you try it as long as you dont get too disappointed if nothing happens  as normal you pay your money you take your choice
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal