Author Topic: Cheap Seeds  (Read 3411 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Cheap Seeds
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:33:41 »
I went to Wyevale Garden Centre yesterday and they had seeds for 50p a packet (all 2016).  Many of them were multipacks too, for example, an assortment of peppers and chillies or 6 different courgettes and pattipans.  There were bedding plant mixtures too which will come in handy next year.

I then went on to In Excess in Salisbury and they had thousands of seed packets for 10p each.  Most of them were 2015 but apart from parsnip seeds which I didn't buy, the rest will probably still germinate. 

In Excess, I believe, is a local company and as far as I know they only have two stores and those are in Salisbury and Ringwood.   Wyevale seem to be Nationwide.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Cheap Seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 13:50:51 »
Thanks for the reminder Pauline, I shot off quick and came back with 57 packets of seeds!
Overall cost should have been £147.61, with my members card voucher I got £8 off, so paid £20.50 for the lot, great stuff. Sadly no cucumbers, squash or beetroot left, but plenty of flowers and I went a bit mad on the SarahRaven ones, sow by 2019 so I stocked up on my favourites ( that's my excuse!)

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 15:10:59 »
Wow!  What a lot of seeds Deb!!

I was fortunate that from Wyevale I was able to get those that you were after ie. Butternut Rugosa Squash, Marketmore cucumbers and Red Ace Beetroot.  I also bought Ambassador peas, Dugi Bijeli Parsnips, All Season broccoli (3 different types), Peperone Corno Rosso, Ravanello Radishes, Green Longpod Broad Beans and Karmazyn Broad Beans as well as the courgette/pattipan and pepper selections that I mentioned in my first post.  In addition to the packet of 6 bedding plants I mentioned, I also got Lupino Alto Multicolor (lupins) and some Tall Double Mixed Scabious.  I could have bought more but they were in the glasshouse section of the store and it was so hot in there.

I only bought 6 x 10p packets from In Excess.  They consisted of five lots of flowers, namely French Marigolds Fantasia Mix and Jolly Japes, Wallflower Monarch Fair Lady,  Cornflowers, Blue Ball and Tall Mixed.  I also found a packet of coriander seeds.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 15:55:41 »
In Excess sounds like an appropriately named place to buy seeds from! :happy7:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 17:29:13 »
I went down there today!  No cheap chilli plants at Wyvales Oxford but bucket loads of 50p seeds ... including loads of the more expensive Franchi, Sarah Raven and other top brands with more interesting varieties.  Thanks for the head's up

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal