Author Topic: Memories of Fifty Years Ago  (Read 2357 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Memories of Fifty Years Ago
« on: August 25, 2016, 17:20:46 »
Let me tell you a story:   It is now fifty years since I moved to the Huddersfield area.

I came the area to work as a Production Engineer on the highest motorway in Britain (The M62)

I was in charge of the dam section including the shafts, tunnels and the bridge, and would you believe considering I only live about five or six miles from it, I have never been back to it since.

I have crossed the dam many times in my car, but I have never walked the water side. I have always promised that I would someday, that day was last week!

When I got there the memories came flooding back to me, and flooding is a very appropriate word, as I recalled my first day on the site.

It was then that I stepped across the brook that ultimately filled the dam, it was barely 18 inches wide and 3 inches deep, and I recall thinking how the hell will this brook fill the dam we were about to build? 

Well as you will see in the pictures ….it did!

Another strange thing that happened that day was:  I found two fossilised sea shells meaning that at some time in the distant past this part of the Pennines had been under water, and lo and behold it is covered in water again.

The first dozen or so pictures could easily have been taken from my office window if it were still there. As it is, these pictures were taken from what was then the company car park.

So as I did many times fifty years ago I walked down the hillside to the valley bottom, now the waters edge, and my memory went into overdrive.

I recall the farm that is now under many millions of gallons of water. I remember its owner who didn’t take kindly to the compulsory purchase order he received., and how after he had had a few he would come out  with his twelve bore and challenge us.

At least this walk was much more peaceful and quiet.

I didn’t walk the full perimeter this time I only walked as far as the Boating Club, I will leave the other side for another day.

I hope you like what I saw, sadly I don’t have any original photos from fifty years ago so that you could share the past and the present with me.

Sorry for rabbiting on a bit and I appreciate this has nothing to do with allotments, but it has to do with me, and who knows if I hadn’t settled down here I wouldn’t have had the allotments I have shared with you all over the years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tee_gee/albums/72157669798322063
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 17:30:54 by Tee Gee »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Memories of Fifty Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 18:14:12 »
Interesting- I drive over that section every few weeks and have never really thought about it being built! I will have a new respect next time!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 19:47:36 »
Lovely post, Tee Gee, and lovely photos, thank you.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 20:01:21 »
Really enjoyed reading your story, Tee Gee.  And the photos  were superb.  Thank you.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 20:07:17 »
Thanks for the post, will give you a thumbs up next time I pass...  :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:50:37 »
Very interesting TeeGee, thanks for sharing.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:29 »
Well done TeeGee.  The photos were lovely, especially the heather ones.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 11:39:51 »
Wow. You must be very proud to have been part of building that.  It reminds me of Rutland Water where I am  sure some of my ancestors are laid to rest. A lot of them in the churchyard as well!  It looks so peaceful at the side of that very busy motorway.  Lovely photos and and a lovely reminder of your working life. Is there any sort of museum there showing the construction?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 12:01:05 »
Is there any sort of museum there showing the construction?

Not that I am aware of but I do know the local paper has lots of pictures of it from its inception.

Then of course there are my memories!

Glad to see that some of you liked the article I was not sure how it would go down,.

Thanks to all those who have commented on the article, as I saw it it shows that we all had other lives away from allotments and gardens. :icon_cheers:....Tg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal