Author Topic: coping in the heat  (Read 3107 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
coping in the heat
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:18 »
When it is this hot, I find that a hat is not enough.  I put a folded tea towel round my head like a bandana, wet it and find that this makes the heat so much more comfortable.  Looks quite ridiculous and ruins any hairstyle, but it allows me to work in the heat much more comfortably.

OH wears a baseball cap and places a wet flannel on the top of his head inside. 

Maybe there are better solutions.  How do you all cope in the heat?   :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: coping in the heat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 13:51:48 »
Stay in the shade as much as possible, especially between 11am and 3pm or so, and drink plenty of water.   
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 18:58:34 »
Mad dog, maybe, Englishman certainly but defy the trait and stay out of the mid-day sun!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 22:00:21 »
Crept up on me this morning, merrily digging away, then it felt like the grim reaper was calling on me. took over an hour to get back to a reasonable state to get home and get a cold shower to cool down.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 23:39:46 »
Same for me today, felt dizzy at allotment, stopped digging and sat in the shade. Too hot today.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:38 »
When it gets really hot :sunny: I find putting my feet in cool water is relief. I also take a bottle of  chilled water to the allotment. :glasses9:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:49:03 »
I get on with indoor jobs when it is very hot outside.  I then do any gardening after 3-4pm.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 12:25:39 »
Yes probably it would be better not be out when it is really hot, but I find it so stuffy indoors.  Love the idea of putting feet into cold water.  Yes I also drink a lot of water, but really cold water makes me feel sick.  If I don't drink a lot, I feel heat exhaustion too.  Here the clay soil was way too dry yesterday to do any digging, so I certainly wasn't tempted by that.

Thank you for your coping strategies.  :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 13:14:51 »
 I find that putting my hands and wrists in a bowl of really cold water cools me down very quickly. Running cold water over them does the same job but isn't as economical  :tongue3:.

Tricia  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal