Author Topic: Cabbage White  (Read 4833 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Cabbage White
« on: August 22, 2016, 13:45:15 »
Well in the brassica eating competition in my garden 2016 the gold medal went to the lovely cabbage white caterpillars. They overcame the obstacle of my netting by some remarkable flying. Well done them! Looks like I'll be going to Sainsbury's for my purple sprouting brocolli next spring.  :crybaby2:

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
Re: Cabbage White
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 17:23:41 »
A couple of years ago I had the same problem with the cabbage whites scoffing the purple spurters. Ripping them out was a job I didn't get round to for quite a while, when I did get round to it I noticed they were all regrowing from the stumps. So I left them in and the next spring we had a cracking crop from very bushy plants.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 20:09:29 »
A couple of years ago I had the same problem with the cabbage whites scoffing the purple spurters. Ripping them out was a job I didn't get round to for quite a while, when I did get round to it I noticed they were all regrowing from the stumps. So I left them in and the next spring we had a cracking crop from very bushy plants.
That's encouraging as that's just what I have done. All this rain will help!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 21:16:23 »
I never seem to have caterpillar trouble and I put that down to my use of Armillatox at planting time.

Initially I apply it at planting out time but I think the smell lingers for a long time after this, as I have seen cabbage whites fly over my plants then they move on, meaning no eggs and subsequently no caterpillars.

I wish it was the same for slugs!

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 21:18:31 »
I never seem to have caterpillar trouble and I put that down to my use of Armillatox at planting time.

Initially I apply it at planting out time but I think the smell lingers for a long time after this, as I have seen cabbage whites fly over my plants then they move on, meaning no eggs and subsequently no caterpillars.

I wish it was the same for slugs!

never heard of Armillatox. Does Jayes Fluid do same job?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 21:48:27 »

I have never tried it but strangely enough I bought some Jeyes this year with a view to using it if I ran out of Armillatox but never got round to it simply because I had enough Armillatox to treat this years planting plan.

My view is it should as Jeyes smells the same, it is a detergent/ cleaner after all.

When Armillatox was first produced it was classified as a fungicide which was OK for a few years then the Euro MP's had it banned as a fungicide. The makers then reclassified it as a detergent and when I contacted them they said that the new Armillatox was made to the same recipe as the original version.

This is when. I got to thinking of using Jeyes as it is classified as a detergent so far as I know, plus it is much much cheaper.

So my answer to your question is my guess is........it will.........but the choice is yours....Tg

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:18:52 »

I have never tried it but strangely enough I bought some Jeyes this year with a view to using it if I ran out of Armillatox but never got round to it simply because I had enough Armillatox to treat this years planting plan.

My view is it should as Jeyes smells the same, it is a detergent/ cleaner after all.

When Armillatox was first produced it was classified as a fungicide which was OK for a few years then the Euro MP's had it banned as a fungicide. The makers then reclassified it as a detergent and when I contacted them they said that the new Armillatox was made to the same recipe as the original version.

This is when. I got to thinking of using Jeyes as it is classified as a detergent so far as I know, plus it is much much cheaper.

So my answer to your question is my guess is........it will.........but the choice is yours....Tg

Thanks TeeGee I will try it. I also have some commercial soil sterilizer from my father in law's nursery (about twenty years ago). I have used it once or twice as I make my own organic compost which therefore has a lot of wildlife in it.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 15:39:16 »

Thanks TeeGee I will try it. I also have some commercial soil sterilizer from my father in law's nursery (about twenty years ago). I have used it once or twice as I make my own organic compost which therefore has a lot of wildlife in it.
It is called Basamid. http://www.kaneshost.com/products/basamid/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal