Author Topic: Purple Sprouting  (Read 3503 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Purple Sprouting
« on: August 21, 2016, 07:45:37 »
Something has been gnawing away at my purple sprouting seedlings in my new raised bed and eaten most of the leaves.  I know it is not pigeons because I have a net over them though it's not a butterfly one.  I have now bought some butterfly netting but haven't fitted it yet.  I put down about 6 home-made slug traps but have only caught a couple of small slugs. 

Is it too late to plant some more seeds?  Everything I have read says to plant April to July so would they germinate?  I could sow some in a tray in the greenhouse and even sow some direct in the bed.  Has anyone ever sown any at this time of year and had successful results?  Your advice is much appreciated, please.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Purple Sprouting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:30 »
They would germinate but they might not get to much of a size before the autumn sets in - although of course we could have a long tail to the summer so worth a punt.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:43:55 »
They would germinate but they might not get to much of a size before the autumn sets in - although of course we could have a long tail to the summer so worth a punt.

I agree.....Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:17:10 »
Thanks Nick and TeeGee, I'll give it a try.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:50:23 »
I've just bought some PSB plants from Delfland..
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:54:52 »
I've got this happening too ... all PSB I have put in has been chomped despite being under netting ... I'm wondering if it's got anything to do with these Diamondback moths that were about earlier in the season.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 01:41:36 »
I found 2 caterpillars on one of the almost leafless decimated purple sprouting today so I definitely know the culprits now.  I have run out of nails to attach the new butterfly netting to so will have to wait a couple more days until I am at the shops. I may even buy some more plants then, just in case my newly sown ones don't come to anything. 

I am pleased it wasn't slugs causing the damage as it shows my home made traps are working well.  I'm not catching many in the new raised bed that has the broccoli but then it was filled with new compost and well rotted manure.  The traps in my flower beds show a different story and they are always full of large drunken slugs.  I am using small bottles that have previously had sparkling water in them.  I cut them where they start to narrow, invert the neck, tape the two bits together and put in some beer.  I got the method from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqs4YHUr7Kg   The You Tube lady lays her bottles down, but I bury my bottles upright in the soil with about 3-4 inches showing above ground level.  I then put a few stones around mine so the little ones can climb in too.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:31:26 »
Probably best not to watch that youtube video before breakfast !   Eeew !     :tongue3:   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal