Author Topic: Second plot here I come!  (Read 2344 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Second plot here I come!
« on: August 18, 2016, 23:03:15 »
Well ... second half-plot anyway.  The old guy who has had the plot behind mine for years has decided to call it a day due to failing health.  It's very sad indeed for him, but he really hasn't been able to keep up with it this year ... I'm going to offer to keep the raspberries, rhubarb, currant bushes and apples and he can come and harvest what he likes for the coming years.

However to turn a sad thing in to a great thing ... I am actually itching to clear some land again now I'm on top of my first half-plot and I could really do with the room!  I'm pretty sure he has rabbits living on there in the weeds and taking it on it will give me access to clear out the adjoining fence to my current plot.

It won't be easy (or cheap) though!  At least half the rabbit fencing needs completely replacing.  This year's weeds have flowered and seeded already!  I took all the allotment clearing smothering carpet that mine originally came with to the dump last year.  I will need to install a second IBC water tank to have enough water (we don't have running water there).  And of course I still need to keep on top of what I've got!

Nevertheless ... it's very exciting indeed!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Second plot here I come!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:34:32 »
Hi Squeezyjohn how wonderful to be able to have the plot behind yours, can't wait to hear about the great progress you make. It is very lovely of you to allow the previous plot holder to continue to harvest the fruit. xJane

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:20:13 »
I found the benefit of a second plot was being able to space crops further apart which makes weeding easier.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 22:22:08 »
The current allotment owner of the one I'm taking on was down today harvesting what was there and clearing his stuff away, it's the first I've seen of him since the beginning of summer and his leg looked like it was in a bad way.  Anyway - I offered him to have anything he wanted of the stuff he'd grown in the coming years if he wanted - but he said that I could have it all ... I'll keep the offer open but it's a bit awkward as I don't want to seem patronising!  If I can keep going on my plot until I'm 87 then I'd take that now!

Anyhow ... lots of planning - I shall try to spend the winter concentrating on clearing and fence mending.  One of the amazing things is I will now be able to get a load of manure dumped straight on my plot as my current one has no access to the road - but this one does ... that will save me a day or two every year in time!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 22:10:07 »
I also acquired a second plot last year as nobody wanted to clear it. Really great for rotating crops etc. Still ran out of room though.  But now that I am harvesting, it is nice to start preparing next years beds in the dry weather instead of slogging away in the wet sticky mud.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal