Author Topic: tomatoes  (Read 3309 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
tomatoes
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:51 »
my outdoor tomatoes are doing well but last year and this year the weather has  seen a delay in ripening just had a few sungold now as last year there will be  a glut in a couple of week although welcome it means late nights ahead i am looking forward to it however weather god could we please next year get a normal summer so i can deal with the toms gently please  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:07:42 »
I Believe wearing your pyjamas inside out and running anti-clockwise round perimeter at mignight works: only if grasping a sprig of white heather in your mouth. You gain excellent weather.....we do it in Scotland all the time ;)

On a serious note, is that wee pots sunken near Toms plants? Is that for watering and feeding?
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:35:24 »
 :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
I Believe wearing your pyjamas inside out and running anti-clockwise round perimeter at mignight works: only if grasping a sprig of white heather in your mouth. You gain excellent weather.....we do it in Scotland all the time ;)

On a serious note, is that wee pots sunken near Toms plants? Is that for watering and feeding?
yes indeed we have very sandy soil so the pot put the water and the feed straight to the roots seems to work been doing it for years always had a good crop squashes beans sweetcorn all have pots next to them hope this helps oh was leather or heather must have got lost in translation lol :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:02:47 »
I always grow some Red Alerts and put a few in my little polytunnel - they never let me down for early toms.  I have been picking them all month and have just set a couple of trays out on the dryer for some "sun" dried toms over winter.  They are also early outside and are going great down the plot - thoroughly recommended to fill that July gap when you can see all your toms but they are too green to eat!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 20:14:22 »
I always grow some Red Alerts and put a few in my little polytunnel - they never let me down for early toms.  I have been picking them all month and have just set a couple of trays out on the dryer for some "sun" dried toms over winter.  They are also early outside and are going great down the plot - thoroughly recommended to fill that July gap when you can see all your toms but they are too green to eat!
thanks i will give them a go next season and try to bridge the gap  i bet its really warm next year so ill have them and the others to deal with lol :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:r :drunken_smilie:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 23:56:57 »
Picked my first full punnet full of mixed tomatoes today, mostly from outdoor plants, greenhouse ones at home still resolutely green. All different sizes too, some beefsteak ones have ripened before the cherries which I can't remember happening before!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 23:52:18 »
Yellow Murdon (?) is bucking the trend... had 2lbs to process today... very funny looking tomato soup!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 17:39:19 »
let the glut begin

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 21:12:36 »
That's some amazing trusses - what variety are they?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 22:46:08 »
That's some amazing trusses - what variety are they?
why thankyou the variety is the old fav moneymaker an essex classic

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal