Author Topic: Pumpkins ripening already!!  (Read 4585 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Pumpkins ripening already!!
« on: July 29, 2016, 20:52:25 »
A large number of our Jack o lantern Pumpkins have turned orange already! I have never had Pumpkins ripen this early before.
Is anyone else seeing this? Bit concerned they are ripening to early or will they be ok to October.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Pumpkins ripening already!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:18:58 »
no with luck they should store well into the winter id leave them on until  the frost beckons  took this pic this morning of betty
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:12:24 »
I've never grown pumpkins but a plot holder gave me " magic seeds for a giant pumpkin". I didn't even have to swap a cow for them.

So may join you next year. I'll watch with interest and hope Betty does well.
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:39:39 »
I've never grown pumpkins but a plot holder gave me " magic seeds for a giant pumpkin". I didn't even have to swap a cow for them.

So may join you next year. I'll watch with interest and hope Betty does well.
why thank you every year we have biggest pumpkin comp every   year ive  been second to different winners so fingers crossed this is my year ill post along the way so you can see what happends or not

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 15:14:49 »
OK 2 weeks on from last post a pic of betty however someone on our site has tried to nobble me today there are two fingernail  marks very deep into bettys flank  so ive got the Alcohol   wipes out and put two plasters on the wounds for today tomorrow ill see how it looks fingers crossed it will heal over the next week ive still got 6 weeks to go people really are very sad and i really hope it was not done in malice  however no one  should be touching it anyway again its another bad mark against what i thought were friends  dont think ill bother next year anyway here she is before the incident

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:59 »
I have three basketball sized Jack o lantern pumpkins growing on one plant, but they are all very dark green, so still growing I guess!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 13:10:14 »
ok update on betty i have a new pretender to the throne going to have to call her bertha        betty has stopped growing i think around the 180lb mark bertha however is growing strong and with the comp 3weeks away my 200lb target is looking good i just hope she keeps growing fingers crossed

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 15:21:21 »
the death of betty poor betty didnt make it this morning went to water her and some one had tried to lift her and snapped the stem off and split her into i knew she was on her last legs however i would have liked to kept the seeds as she was well over 200lb est  to my surprise as i removed the seeds from bettys  belly they had all sprouted inside her how strange

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 16:57:08 »
Thats really sad and mean of whoever did that to poor Betty. How is Bertha holding up?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 17:09:19 »
Thats really sad and mean of whoever did that to poor Betty. How is Bertha holding up?
sadly its the same every year at least one of my pumpkins get damaged or stolen bertha is doing well but a little lonely  will up her feed next week as there is only two weeks to show day  just to make her feel special thank you for your support i  was a little angry this morning however it soon passed people are i hope naive at the damage they cause when moving a large ripe pumpkin i hope they have learnt not to do it to someone else hayho onward and upwards

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 14:41:16 »
my sons getting married in 3 weeks his wife to be wants pumpkins  to decorate the barn they are getting married in they are going to spray them gold so i harvested them today so they have time to spray them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal