Author Topic: Can I use Rhubarb leaves to deter weeds?  (Read 2737 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Can I use Rhubarb leaves to deter weeds?
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:01 »
Hi everyone I vaguely remember reading somewhere that placing rhubarb leaves on top of weeds can deter growth....does any one do this? If so what weeds hate rhubarb the most? Thanks

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Can I use Rhubarb leaves to deter weeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:51:57 »
I don't think there's anything particular about rhubarb that will deter weeds more than any other covering, it's just that they are a big leaf that most vegetable gardeners will have a good supply of anyway. Putting them down will provide a temporary physical barrier until they compost down (which they do surprisingly quickly!) ... If you use them then it will probably inhibit germination of new annual weeds, but perennials like mares tail or bindweed will just push through our creep round the edges.

Rhubarb leaves will attract loads of slugs and snails who will shelter under the leaves in the hot weather ... So it could provide an annoying safe haven for them... Or you could check under and dispose of them on a regular basis!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:04:55 »
Hi Squeezyjohn thank you for your quick reply, I can always rely on you to help me & I am very grateful.
I don't want to create a slug haven & as the weeds I am trying to deter are bindweed & Marestail the rhubarb leaf idea really won't work. I did think I was having a wishful thinking moment lol.

So can the leaves go into my ordinary compost heap then? Or are they best used mixed in water to decompose to make an insect repellent for brassicas?  I want to put them so good use as there are so many of them & they are so large.
Many thanks. jane

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 21:39:28 »
Or are they best used mixed in water to decompose to make an insect repellent for brassicas? 

My plot neighbour uses them like this. What a stink they make, not only good at repelling insects, they also keep me away for a while

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 22:55:20 »
I have used them under my pumpkins as you can see here but I don't think I would use them elsewhere because they make the ideal daytime hideaway for slugs.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Pumpkin/Pumpkin%20pics/41-Rings%20ready%20for%20Pumpkins%20&%20Courgettes.JPG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal