Author Topic: squash experts question please  (Read 3408 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
squash experts question please
« on: July 28, 2016, 21:33:37 »
HI - like many people, my squashes were really late to get going this summer. Some of them are still less than  1 foot long but one or two are valiantly sending out 'branches' all over the place. Usually I just let them do their own thing and have a good harvest, but I wondered whether I should aim to stop the growth after a couple of squashes have set on each plant? I know we still have some time but where are other people squashes at please?
I am in the southeast by the way.
Thanks

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: squash experts question please
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 22:35:00 »
Mine are mostly still growing. A few have set fruit, but most are behind. If you're in the southeast you've got a fair amount of time till the first frosts - a good 3.5 months so I wouldn't worry yet. Personally I don't trim squash vines, but this year the slugs have been doing it for me anyway. If you want big fruits, just remove the ones you don't want - the plant will need its leaves to grow the squash.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:03 »
I let mine roam where they want and if they set a lot of fruit (which they generally don't) then I give them a good feed.  I find they tend to start slow and then explode with growth - mine are just at that stage where they are putting on lots of green growth and setting flower - so time for an inspection and feed. I am SE too so we should be fine even if they are smallish..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 16:01:14 »
mine have gone loopy this year i had a look today and must have 200 yes 200 4inch butternuts all doing well they are taking over they had a 20ft bed of their own well they are through that and then another 20ft of sweetcorn  thru that then they reached my tomatoes i turn them around and now the are back to the runners beans 40 ft from where i turned them and turned them again back will take a pic this weekend they are really having a go this year all this from 10 plants the original bed was dug out last year and all my old beans sweetcorn stems squashes pumpkins  and a bag of the old pigeon poo all put in a then covered back with earth then covered with 4" of leaf mould they have loved it hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 22:18:13 »
Wow Johnnyco, thats a lot of squashes!! Fantastic. Thanks to you and to Barriedale Nick and Sparrow for comments about this. I will leave my squashes to do their own thing, but am feeding them this year (normally plant them in well rotted manure and just water well). I will see what happens but hope I get a few (nowhere near 200 though!)
Thanks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:18 »
as promised this morning pic of said beasts

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 20:06:54 »
had a look this evening and they are getting a good size now these are around 6" long if they stay on another two weeks i think they will harvest so fingers crossed   sorry dont mean to hijack the thread :angel11: :angel11:

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 17:25:23 »
Just looking on with envy Johhnyco!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 16:22:37 »
they have grown a bit in the last week