Author Topic: What to do with sage?  (Read 2831 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
What to do with sage?
« on: July 26, 2016, 19:32:04 »
I sowed rather more sage than I need- what do you use it for?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: What to do with sage?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 21:41:22 »
Goes very well with calves liver and onion.  Lovely in stuffing too.   :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 22:08:30 »
It's great for lots of things!  Goes very well with most meats, squash and if blended with a mix of other herbs is great in casseroles and stews.

However ... it is very strong and most dishes would be overwhelmed with more than a small sprig of sage ... nobody needs more than one mature sage plant!  Mine is about 10 years old now and it's the size of a small shrub - I probably use a fraction of a percentage of the leaves it makes in a year!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:56:37 »
My rabbits love eating it! That's not much help, is it? ;)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:28:17 »
sauSAGE!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:58:09 »

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:14:09 »
cant recall if you enjoy fish or not caroline but I guess me being a fish head I like to use my garden herbs with fish and have found sage to be a different flavour to enhance oily fish......salmon being ever popular is a simple one ....

a lrge piece can be trimmed into cutlets per person and topped and tailed with the mixture ........its dead easy

in a bowl,,,,,

juice of 1 lemon
2 tbspns of Dijon mustard
freshly ground salt and black pepper
ok....this is experimental but I add 6 or so medium sage leaves fine chopped ...but add more to your digression as it can overpower foods ....
2 tbsps. of olive oil and combine together.....

wipe salmon pieces with kitchen towel and smear mixture on top and bottom.

grill till cooked through around 5 to 6 mins....

to add the herb to the atmosphere of the meal so everybody knows your having a sage day....

just before serving throw a few sage leaves into a pan with hot oil.....when there sizzling remove and pat dry with paper...
they are a garnish on your plate but add extra sage flavour if you really enjoy your sage...a squeeze of fresh lemon and its tuck on in.

having caught a few mackerel at chesil beach it seemed rude not to use our garden sage as an extra flavour with the fish

again dead easy.......flash fry your macky fillets ...in hot oil for 3 to 5 mins......at last min remove fish and drop in a kernob of butterwith 6 or so sage leaves......as it frazzles in the pan plate up your fish and pour over the sage butter its bloody lovely
but again go easy with the sage leaves as we all know it can over power foods so easy......

anyway enjoy its a different way to eat oily fish but worth trying if you like sage flavour with your food

Gazza

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal