Author Topic: Strimmer recommendations?  (Read 4291 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Strimmer recommendations?
« on: July 25, 2016, 00:08:13 »
Given that the mowing rota on our allotments seems to have fallen by the wayside, and no-one appears to be mowing the paths between plots any more, I am seriously considering a strimmer of my own.  The society do have one but is a drag to borrow it (last time I had to work out how to start it myself, didn't get given any of the extras, and had to finish halfway through the job as I ran out of the cord I should have been given. After spending forty minutes in the shed sheltering from a thunderstorm, I wasn't very impressed!) and as a seriously butch Stihl it weighs a ton.

I'm thinking petrol engined as it may need to deal with some pretty coarse grass and weeds in my edges (possibility of brushcutter blade?). It also needs to fit in the back of my  Berlingo (for the uninitiated, the Berlingo is basically a van with seats that can be folded flat)- as I live about three miles from the plot.

So... I'm looking for a reasonable compromise between enough grunt, small enough to get in the car, and reasonably tough. How hard can that be? :angel11:

Thanks in anticipation,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

rollingrock

Re: Strimmer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:45:41 »
are you considering a battery powered strimmer or petrol.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 19:36:07 »
I buy "recycled" rotary mowers at my local tip, generally £3-£5 a time. Never yet had one that would not start with new petrol, odd spark plug and twice, just a new recoil cord and grip handle. Try and collect them of a kind, so they provide spares as required. My favorites are the 16" Mountfield Emblem ,with Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engines. Bomb proof! At that price, you can almost afford to hide it , although I did have one stolen. Try and get the grass catcher as well. Just turn it over to make sure it does.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:03:50 »
I got battery  strimmer with a blade from lidl it's been great, no faffing about with petrol, very lightweight and easy to use and transport and this makes it much easier to do bits little and often.
Sunloving

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:42 »
I have had an electric Black & Decker strimmer for the past 20 odd years and in that time I think that I have replaced every part possible at some time . It still keeps going but it is well past its sell by date. Last year I treated myself to a Honda UMS425LE which is the entry level for Honda's petrol 4 stroke strimmers. It starts 1st pull and is really powerful. I use it at the allotment to clear my paths and parking area and fluctuate between that and the old Black & Decker at home. I find the Black and Decker easier for edging but the Honda far better for grass cutting it will tackle anything. The disadvantage of this particular Honda is that you cannot fit a blade to it because it is the entry level you need to move to the next level for that. As I said 1st time start no messing about mixing oil and petrol I am highly satisfied with it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 21:46:59 »
I've got one of those jobbies that come in half. The power unit can be separated from the strimmer for transporting Also a tiller head can be fitted along with all sorts of attachments. I noticed that Lidl were doing a complete kit last week, engine unit, saw, strimmer, brushcutter and hedge cutter a good price as well compared to what I paid for mine.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:50:43 »
Lordy, sounds as though I need to keep an eye on Lidl!

Thanks everyone, lots of food for thought.

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Legin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 14:52:31 »
I treated myself to a WHICH? best buy cordless strimmer and I have to say it works a treat. I can just about get all the grass/weeds round my plot done on one charge if I do it every week so the job isn't too tough. That said, they've updated the best buy list since then. This one looks to be OK if you have more than fours hours to charge it:- Qualcast Cordless Grass Trimmer 36V

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 23:47:34 »
i brought a sovereign strimmer from homebase about 5 years ago now, had to change the primer bulb twice ( you can buy them of e-bay for a couple of quid for a handfull of them) other than that it perfect and they are under £100.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal