Author Topic: Fast growing produce? Tips please  (Read 2562 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
Fast growing produce? Tips please
« on: July 24, 2016, 17:09:10 »
Have been really busy with work this year and have not got around to planting as much as usual.

Anyway, have just received a letter from council saying plots should not be just 'partially cultivated'.

I've got raspberry bushes, apple cordons x 2, potatoes, leeks in. Oh, and two courgettes.

The beans I planted have been eaten.

I took down an old greenhouse and intend to put a replacement up but won t be able to do this until end of season anyway. I have got about 10 tomato plants at home that I could plant in the lottie. Will they be okay outside do you think? (Northern England).

Other than that, can anyone suggest very fast growing crops so I don't lose the allotment?

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Fast growing produce? Tips please
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 18:10:18 »
They don't need to be fast growing do they? I would put in plants of Purple Sprouting, Kale and possibly Brussel Sprouts, followed by Spring Cabbage. You will be off to a flying start next spring!! If you haven't got plants they shouldn't be too expensive to buy. You could even take a chance on runner beans, but you wouldn't have much to see for a while apart from the sticks. Between the BS, kale etc you could sow lettuce, rocket mizuna and so on. All the best!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 18:15:19 »
pak choi and of course the humble radish swede turnips the list of possibilities is really as large as your imagination what part of this fair isle are you situated may i ask
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:35:28 »
I am in NE England so quite a short summer season

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:08 »
I put some peas, mangetout and sugar snaps in a week ago and they are already through and are about an inch tall.  These are replacements for the ones already in that are dying off having produced their peas.

Some of the garden centres will now be reducing the prices of their vegetables so you may find something there that can add to your plot.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 17:25:03 »
 :happy7:
I am in NE England so quite a short summer season
ah yes my daughter lives in spinnymore  you should be ok with mizuma ,mustard and pak choi  thing like that hope you get on ok  please let me know how you got on hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 19:28:52 »
Not everything grows! Consider putting marker sticks at 12" centres along a path, as many as you have space for in the cleared areas. Plant as suggested above .Some could just be camoflage! Any overgrown areas could be covered with black sheet to kill the
vegetation, pending mulch.
Find out how often the council inspect, doubt its very often. Polythene cloches are quite cheap, and easy to make. Make it look different every fortnight- should see you through! Soon be time to green manure, possibly with something cheap. Wheat?, mustard? lupins?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 21:34:03 »
Will try to hit garden centres this weekend.

Good idea about changing the look every fortnight.

Will try and report back in a few weeks.

Thanks all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal