Author Topic: Reasons to be cheerful...and thanks  (Read 2644 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Reasons to be cheerful...and thanks
« on: July 23, 2016, 18:37:55 »
After getting loads of help on here this year and past three years, we are getting there. This season we have put in and or built nine big raised beds and six wee ones.....dug out a wilderness..put in a polytunnel...and discovered pain relief gel ;) Every time I think of trying something, I look in here first, Teegee's great Almanac or Teegee's book off Amazon. We are making loads of learning opportunities ( errors )and it's been hard work...what great fun though.  Genuinely wouldn't have planted half the stuff or kept it alive without this place. Teegee....I hope you start to enjoy your plot or plots more again. You really help people loads.

After a slow start things are picking up.
I will try and borrow daughters laptop as iPad and putting up photos doesn't seem a good mix.

Im growing Cucumber Sikkim for the first time and the fruits are huge....some 3lbs. The skin is an amazing dark crackled effect with lighter brown ripple....like a giraffe skin! Not as productive as the mini white I have but chunky! Mini white are romping along and I'm happily eating salad every day.
courgettes not producing anything yet. Got some Trombocino fruit starting to grow though. Trying to grow these on shed roof with some Uchi Kuri squash. Jean ones posts got me interested in squash...seemed too exotic for a beginner until I read them.....and then bought a canner.....

I got an Autopot for my birthday and they are in that....shall be interestin to compare with same ones in the ground.

Tomatoes starting to kick in now. Getting ripe Irish Gardeners Delight every day....love the taste of these and will be saving. Got them from " Real seeds" who comment they are not true to what others call iGD but are keeping them in catalogue as folk like the taste....not at all surprised, lovely!!
sungold F 1s are doing well. I could eat these like sweets. I'd love an OP version.
Getting big toms about to fruit on the Florida Uni seed I got. They are Klee varieties Garden Gem and Garden Tomato. Get a good write up, and taste better than shop bought....but I prefer cherry varieties and their sweetness....lets see if they get sweeter with more sun.

Im really pleased too with Red Robin mini toms..tastier than I expected. Wouldn't have tried them without JayB and Jeannine.
No ripe fruits on the Barry's Crazy Tomato.....but lots of clusters of flowers.

Dancing with Smurfs fruiting but not yet ripe enough. Incredibly strong looking plants. Like the habit too. ( JayB got me interested in these)

Regular sized chillis getting lots of fruit, none ready yet....think a Padron will be first....with Basque coming soon after. Pleased to see Ethiopean Brown chilli forming fruit as have high hopes for this one for chilli powder for Mexican dishes. No fruit yet in Aji Fantasy or Trop. Werner. Alfred's Rocotto have perked up and beautiful purple flowers are blooming.

the wee/ patio chillis are doing well. Apache has lots of developing fruit...as does Super Chilli and Prairie Fire starting to get going. Not a lot to show on Red Demon.. Slowest are Carribean Antillas.

im growing a few Fary Tale Mini Aubergines.....growing well but no fruits yet. Planted them at close of sowing period. Never grown aubergine, so a bit of fun.

Strawberries look lush and healthy....darn pup eats them! Pleased with the taste of the ones we get before him. It's Mara De Bois. I may have overdone Manureing bed as loads of runners.

Sunshine Blue blueberries developing and so are Chilean Guava.

Potatoes flowering and Yethom Gypsy falling over. Not done a lot of potatoes and the ones I have are in 30 l pots. Got Yetholm, Kifli, Axona, Blue Danube, Salad Blue and Sarpo. Galina and JayB got me interested in potatoes. Johnny has me looking at yields in pots .... And I'm looking at sheds....

Peas flowering . Didn't get Broad beans in this year as put seeds in a " safe Place".

Green Luobo Radish taking off like the clappers but got note from supplier saying may not grow true....still excited about it 😃

Loads of Spinach ( Amazon and Banjo) and cultivated rocket.

lettuce going to seed at drop of hat, with exception of Amish Deer Tongue....liking this one.

Achocha slow to get moving but looking happier after the recent sun.

Garlic all fell over while single cloves

Kale doing well ...Goodlife and Galina have made me forge school dinners and my Mums pressure cooked to mush Kale....we all love Kale in this house now...stir fried in olive oil, garlic and pine nuts.

Potato Onions falling over....big but not looking too happy.

We feel very lucky not to have blight at moment. Veg growing has been a great thing for us as a family. This is a super helpful and friendly site....like a virtual plot. Been a hard few years for us, and the veg growing and her is a " switch off" from the not so nice stuff. Really enjoying this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 19:17:12 by Hector »
Jackie

small

• Hectare
Re: Reasons to be cheerful...and thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:03:42 »
Lovely post, Hector. I check in to A4A every day, the enthusiasm of fellow gardeners helps keep me going, I'm not ambitious for different varieties as you are but I love to read about what people are doing.  And yes, isn't TeeGee an inspiration!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:10 »
Yes, well done Hector for the ambition, the application and the success and so nice of you to recognise Tee Gee's and others' help along the way.   I hope you and your family continue to enjoy your lottie and its produce for many years to come.

Looking forward to some pics.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 22:52:01 »
Part three....
 you are doing great

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:26:37 »
Part three....

you are doing great

Showing your age there, spotting the musical reference......!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal