Author Topic: Runner bean problem  (Read 3380 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
Runner bean problem
« on: July 22, 2016, 21:34:37 »
I wonder if anybody can help. One or two of my runner beans had nearly reached the top of the sticks.They the started to shrivel. As I pulled the up hardly any root was visible. Any advice on what it may be or what I need to do?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Runner bean problem
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 22:55:45 »
Well I don't have an instant answer but there are lots of helpful people here. So my advice would be to do a bit more detective work and provide more details.

Firstly check the sticks are firm. There is a slight possibility of physical damage if strong winds can pull on and tear at the roots.

Have a look at the leaves, are they showing any patchy damage, or uniform drying. Is the soil waterlogged? Is the soil extremely dry? Any signs of things like cutworms? Blackened stems?

In other words you will need to be a bit like Hercule Poirot and look for clues. You may solve it yourself but extra information would make it easier for the generous folks here to help you.

Cheers

Beersmith
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 23:38:46 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 13:00:45 »
have you been weeding around them and has it been windy lately i myself have noticed that this year  my beans are not as supple as normal ive snapped them off trying to wind them around  the canes or it may be a serve case of vine weavel or maybe ants eating at the roots  if the leaves have round circles on them it might be halo blight which effects beans more so if they have been soaked before planting as said pic would be useful
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 13:57:53 »
As the others have mentioned it could be any of a number of reasons.

For example the tender plant tips could have got soaked then boiled when the hot sun came out.

The roots may have lacked for water caused by the umberella affect of the leaves shedding the water outwith the root line, if so this could have affected both the roots and the tips.

Another tell tale sign of water(or lack thereof) is: have the flowers set and are producing embryo beans?

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 14:19:17 »
Many thanks for the ideas! I am growing the beans in large  troughs with drainage and have been very careful with watering. I must admit I was wondering about vine weevil. Although I use fresh compost every year. Are beans suseptable to attack and if it is them is there any remedy for edible crops? I haven't noticed any grubs in the soil though!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 14:31:58 »
Could this be a clue?

I use fresh compost every year

Is it multi-purpose on potting compost you use?

The former only has enough fertiliser in it for two or three weeks and the latter since the peat free/reduced types often leave a bit to be desired in terms of fertility.

So if I am filling pots/containers I always assume that there is no fertiliser in the compost I buy and I add either Chempak / Vitax / John Innes base fertiliser to the recipe on the packaging!

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 20:11:32 »
Hi tee gee ,I have used multi - purpose but would this reduce root growth?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 20:22:03 »
I have noticed that some of these peat free/ reduced mp composts seem to get more saturated than the old peat composts did.

I have lost a number of seedlings in the past due to this trait.

When roots get saturated they suffocate and consequently root development is impaired.

Not that this  is necessarily the case here but it can happen.

Could this be a problem with yours?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 17:15:36 »
ber77ie hope your beans are feeling better dont forget its not too late to sow some more and you  could get some beans end of sept oct ish
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 22:09:29 »
Wow! Is that a recent picture Jonny? I am very jealous if it is. I think I will grow in the soil next year and take tee gees advice.Do you keep your beans in the same place? I have read it's good to dig a trench and fill with kitchen waste!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal