Author Topic: Pear tree has upped and died  (Read 2059 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Pear tree has upped and died
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:07:24 »
I had a really good crop last year from a 2 or 3 year old cordon tree but this year it has suddenly died. Any ideas why this might be? I have a vague memory that of reading that this can happen but usually to plum trees? Can I replant anything in that area or should I leave it clear?
Thanks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Pear tree has upped and died
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 18:54:14 »
the same thing happend to  me about 5 years ago great crop one year all looked good until mid summer then died i replanted that autumn with a different variety  and it is fine the that died was called invincible not so i hear you cry
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 23:41:58 »
The only time a fruit tree died on me was a Morello, after a spell of being waterlogged over winter, when the bottom of the garden was under water.

The pear tree next to if refused to flower and set that year, but pulled through.  Last winter but one, again we had waterlogging conditions and again no flowers and pears.  But the tree which is about 25 years old now has always has pears when the water could drain.

Clearly trees don't like cold weather and 'wet feet'.  Could this have happened your end?

I only know the theory about replanting - advice is to use a different fruit tree type.  If you use the same, then excavate quite a lot of soil and fill with new soil, otherwise there is a risk of the new tree ailing.  I think they called it 'replant disease'. 

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 19:44:12 »
Hi - if anything I think the tree is in quite a dry spot and my plot never gets waterlogged.I did water it this spring but it is relatively near to some cherry cordons which are doing really well. I wondered if they were nicking the water from the pear. Thanks for info about replanting - I might leave it a bit and consider whether to put something else in

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal