Author Topic: Onion white rot  (Read 16653 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Onion white rot
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:40 »
This would mean walking about on the soil which has the danger of introducing spores from other areas, but as I always say I am not necessary right it is just my way of doing things.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 10:43:16 »
Thanks laurieuk ... my beds are arranged so I never walk on them - only on the paths (not exactly no-dig but definitely no-walk!) so I think I'll give it a go.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:17:43 »
 Hi Ya, I will follow your advice Laurieuk and se what occurs. I say onions are shallow rooted as when I lift mine the roots only seem to go 2 to 3 inches down unlike some plant that go 12 or more. This made m,e think the spores maybe in the surface but you dig so will I. Cheers for the advice.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 20:56:55 »
I've bought a tub of garlic powder. Laurie, if I understood you correctly....put powder on as soon as I lift my alliums.  Does this mean you don't rotate them?

Have you ever tried preventative lay on a bed that you haven't had onions in....doing this prior to a later crop of alliums?
Thanks for this

Jackie

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 07:50:19 »
Hector, you should be treating the bed you are going to plant in next season, not the bed you harvested from this year!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 08:50:01 »
Hi Ya, I lifted my summer onions yeserday and though I used garlic water last year still the rot is around though I must admit it seems less. The dry weather could of played a part. I will treat the onion bed and use the same bed and treat it as advised by Laurieuk. I wondered where you get your garle powder as I have seen it for £1 for 50g, and paid £3.45 for 1kg. It does seem a bit pricey so any advice would be welcome. Happy gardening

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 10:52:43 »
Hector, you should be treating the bed you are going to plant in next season, not the bed you harvested from this year!

Sorry me being vague, I think.

I'm asking if
a. You treat as soon as you lift with this years bed....so you can potentially use same bed next year for alliums ( not rotate)
B. Can you also use in a new bed prior to planting as preventative and if you don't know if onions there before
Jackie

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 13:27:14 »
Hi Hector, You are certainly Correct in "B". Uncertain about "A". as the fungi is probably still active, and there will still be exudates from this years crop in the soil.
Every pickle helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 05:35:01 »
Lezelle, if that price includes transport, then you've got a bargain. Who is the supplier?
Best I can find is Eqimins. £23.94 for 5kg delivered.
Every pickle helps!

Hector

• Hectare
Jackie

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 13:56:34 »
Thanks Hector. 60p/kg cheaper, although I prefer the powder as I think you get faster distribution into the soil when it rains.
Every pickle helps!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 11:07:45 »
I just used this method yesterday on the bed I plan to plant my garlic in next year.  It hasn't actually had anything from the onion family in it since I took on the allotment nearly 5 years ago ... but the white rot seems to be endemic on my plot - turning up anywhere I grow onions or garlic if the conditions are right!

I too bought a tub of the very fine garlic powder (tough to administer on a windy day as it goes everywhere) - and I spread a little more thickly than laurieuk did. and just forked it in to the first couple of inches - applied a final dusting to the top and wait for this rain to do it's job of working it in to the soil.  I plan to do the same for my onion bed once I've worked out where that's going to be next year!

Although I'm giving this a try - I am a cynic and wonder whether the conditions have been unfavourable to white rot this year ... I only say this as I haven't heard of anyone having an absolute disaster with their crop yet whether they applied garlic water/powder or not.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 11:07:46 »
Sorry I have been offline for a while but let me clear a few points. I have used the same plot for my onions since I found I had white rot. I treat as soon as possible after lifting. I do not rotate and even when I was in service I kept the same plot for 14 years for my onions. I think powder is better than using liquid but please these are my own thoughts. I use horse garlic powder which I find using google.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 10:09:14 »
Hi Ya, Well I treated my onion bed as advised by Laurieuk and have planted my over winter onion sets. They are showing well so hopefully I will see some results in the summers. I am considering treating another area for summer onions but think it may be a bit late so will use same bed again this time and treat another in the spring time when all warms up again. I am feeling pretty confident but time will tell. Happy Gardening

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 12:27:04 »
Just come across this. Very intrigued. I grow a lot of alliums (something of a staple crop) but have started to suffer from what is almost certainly white rot in my veg garden. Not everywhere yet so there is hope. Onions, shallots and garlic i can get a reasonable crop from (from sets) but cant seem to suceeed with leeks or spring onions (from seed). So anything that can help i am keen to try.

Whats the best source of garlic powder? Supermarkets and heath food places do it but it looks pricey bought that way. Horse Garlic Powder looks the best cost wise i suppose. I am surprised the gardening industry hasnt caught onto this and started supplying it to gardeners if it works.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 13:02:13 »
I buy my powder online £2.45 500 g which does my onion bed. There seems to be 2 separate posts going on A4A at the moment. I am getting questions on both sites.
I put photos of my crop on A4A on July 4th and have had many questions since then.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 13:05:37 »
Sorry have just realized this is the same site but further on, it is getting the same questions that threw me.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 13:42:39 »
Hi Ya All, Well my over winter onions are in and showing well. 2 rows of red and 2 of white. Hopefully this garlic tip will work. Thanks for the show and all the work you have put into this post laurieuk a very helpful and interesting post. I was wondering how your crop turned out this year? I bet you are well pleased if the initial photos are anything to go by. Did you take any more though the season I wonder. I have only seen this post on white rot so far. I picked up on it as I saw it when you first log on in the home page. Thanks mate and Happy gardening

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 20:21:23 »

I am not sure how this works but if you have see these already I am sorry. These onions are this years crop I the ground and at the local show  where I won the trphy for best onions.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 22:34:00 »
 :icon_cheers:  and well deserved Laurieuk.  Congratulations! 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal