Author Topic: Pickled onions/shallots  (Read 3543 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Pickled onions/shallots
« on: July 01, 2016, 22:18:09 »
I've never pickled my own onions but grew some shallots this year for the purpose of doing so.  But I have a question.

Do I need to dry the shallots out before pickling them as if I'm going to store them, or do I just skin them and pickle them fresh as they come out of the ground ... I can't find this info anywhere on the internet bizarrely.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Pickled onions/shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 22:58:19 »
Hi Squeezyjohn.  I pickle my shallots and I always dry them ready to store first.  When dried and later, say October, I take the top layer off and then spread salt on them over night before flushing the salt off and then drying them with a paper towel and pickling. I think that if you don't do this then there is a chance for some sort of "fermentation" in the storage bottle. I have read that if you make the vinegar solution too low it will ferment anyway. Not nice.

Anyway that is my take on it.  Also I am usually too busy to pickle them straight away

Hope this helps.
enjoy your pickles

Bill

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:12:15 »
 im with bill on this hope it helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 19:51:52 »
Bill, thank you for the salt tip.  Have never made them but enjoyed other peoples.  Presumably you just put them into malt vinegar at the normal strength that comes out of the Sarson's bottle (no advertising intended, just want to make sure about the right vinegar to use). And no boiling and sterilising/jar sealing in a hot water bath or you would have mentioned it.  Do you keep it in the fridge or pantry and how long before noshing begins please?  Sorry for all the questions   :wave:

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 20:23:20 »
Galina

Don't try to "cover" the shallots with salt.  I usually start with three handfuls and during the evening check the "pile" so see if the salt has disappeared. if it has I add more.  There should be a bit of salty liquid in the bottom.  When I wash the salt off I don't plunge them into water but do it in a sieve under the tap.  I then dry them off again.

I always wash the jars and dry them upside down in an oven with the temp about 100. whilst the jars are drying I put vinegar, a few mustard seeds, black peppercorns in a sauce pan and warm but not simmer.  You should be able to put a spoon in the liquid and still hold the bowl without burning/hurting your fingers!  The vinegar is up to you but sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar is special.  If you buy pickling vinegar just warm it without the spices.

I then put the shallots into the jars, I usually add two garlic cloves (skinned and the bottom cut off, still whole though) and one or two small dried chilli's.  This depends on whether you like the shallots "hotish".  When I have squeezed in enough I pour in the vinegar and try to get the seeds and peppercorns in as well. when the shallots are covered seal the jars and store in a cool dark locked cupboard. I try to turn the jars over at least twice before cracking them open. Leave until Christmas eve and enjoy.

There is one big problem if you do it right, none left after new year and you do not have enough ground put by to grow more that year.  Friends and family love you if they get a jar and ask to be put on the "pickled shallot" list for the next time.

Once you have tried them you will never go back to pickled onions.

Pickle and be damned

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal