Author Topic: Firestorm climbing beans  (Read 2547 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Firestorm climbing beans
« on: June 27, 2016, 19:37:47 »
I'm growing Firestorm for the first time this year but although the plants are very lush and healthy they are not setting any beans. The bright red flowers are attracting something that is nibbling them back to the stems.  :BangHead: :BangHead: Anyone have advice? The pale lavender flowered Cobra variety has started to set beans as usual! I grew Moonlight last year, white flowered, and had no problems.

Is it too late to sow Moonlight now?

Tricia   :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Firestorm climbing beans
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 20:27:22 »
moonlight will be fine to sow direct now they will soon shoot up and catch up they will be a little later but not by much hope this helps i always direct sow beans now to give myself a later crop when my early sown ones have finished :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 15:38:06 »
heres a pic of my firestorm

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 18:45:41 »
Quite jealous because like Tricia something is eating all the growing tips on mine this is the first time in 10 years that I have had a problem with beans  ugh
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 19:57:08 »
Quite jealous because like Tricia something is eating all the growing tips on mine this is the first time in 10 years that I have had a problem with beans  ugh
cant think of what that could be like yourself never had any trouble hope you find out so i can look out for it hope you get something off them this year

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 15:35:01 »
The rain stopped just long enough for me to take this piccie of my Firestorm beans -  6 plants in a 60cm dia. container.

Tricia  :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 18:42:21 »
I've just seen the culprits! It is baby sparrows that are eating the red flowers   :BangHead:. Three of them have  just demolished an entire spray with apparent enjoyment. There are at least a dozen new sparrow fledglings in the hedge so I'm going to try to net the wigwam but I'll need help because of the height. A job for tomorrow. I also sowed half a dozen Moonlight a couple of days ago, hopefully  I'll get a late harvest for the freezer. I made my first picking of Cobra today, (the sparrows haven't touched those flowers  :icon_cheers:) - just enough to accompany my lamb chop for supper.

Tricia  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal