Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 3497 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
broad beans
« on: June 27, 2016, 13:20:02 »
Hi here a review of the broadies i grow this year.These varieties i grow this year: Black russian
                                                                                                                             double red
                                                                                                                             foul mudammes
                                                                                                                             guatemala pourpre
                                                                                                                             violette
                                                                                                                             habas jergonas
                                                                                                                             lonque de belgique
                                                                                                                             minor
                                                                                                                             noire feve a fleur noire
                                                                                                                             fingerprint
                                                                                                                             landrace
I will put some pictures here to see the progres 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: broad beans
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 00:04:54 »
Lovely

ladycosmos

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 21:54:05 »
Very nice. And not to much problems with snales because of all the rain we have had?

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 22:13:59 »
You seem to be a broad bean enthusiast. Could I ask how you think they are best used? I eat quite a lot raw, on the plot, and tend to steam them as a side veg at home, but it strikes me there could be lots more ways to make use of them. Any suggestions?

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 15:40:36 »
No not much problems with snails.They are there but the let the broadies in peach.I like my broadies wenn they are young small ones.Small cubes of bacon in the pan let them bake on a low fire so that the fat comes out of the bacon.I separate the baked bacon and the fat.The young broad beans chopped onion chopped sweet peper,chopped mushrooms back in the pan with the fat from the bacon,some home made peper salt,last two minutes the bacon back in the pan.Last minute some fresh savory.I eat this with baked potatoes.Bonne apetite

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 15:58:02 »
I made a nice cold broad bean salad - beans, lemon juice, olive oil, Gruyere cheese in little cubes (feta or Manchego or anything interesting would work), finely chopped chilli to taste and lots of fresh dill.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:19 »
As a big fan of the standard green seeded types (better flavour, slightly more tender) I'd be interested to know which of these fantastic-sounding varieties have a flavour bonus?

A key point is the fact that "crimson flowered" doesn't taste better than the white flowered types...

I suppose it comes down to the fatal mistake of selecting for flower colour first - there's always a risk that flavour goes out the window at that point. Whereas if your hard-won flavour comes with a striking flower then it makes it easier to keep the landrace true for a few generations- before you have to reselect for flavour to stop prettyness taking over.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 10:18:14 »
Hi Ya, I am a fan of broadies and this year is beginning to be a good one. Last year was terrible as blight/chocalate spot hit early on our site and wiped the lot out for everyone. This year in total contrast is giving us a good showing and I have already picked over 3.5lb. I like the look of the 3rd picture down of the crimson flowered on ruud, is it a red bean? what variety is it? Lookin good though. Happy harvesting

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 15:58:26 »
The third picture down is stunning :)
Jackie

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 18:52:09 »
The variety with the red flowers is called violette.It is a red coloured broad bean.I have also a variety called fleur noire,It has dark brown flowers.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 22:26:48 »
Ooh, brown flowers sound amazing!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 22:48:52 »
The variety with the red flowers is called violette.It is a red coloured broad bean.I have also a variety called fleur noire,It has dark brown flowers.

You inspired me to grow this variety this year ( Spring sowing). They are strong looking plants
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal