Author Topic: Early potatoes not flowering  (Read 5548 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Early potatoes not flowering
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:17:09 »
I always grow3 rows of Lady Cristi early potatoes. I set them on the 20th of March this year and other than a few misses they have grown well. The problem is that they are not flowering. I tried a couple of roots for Sunday lunch yesterday and the size is reasonable not great but I do not want monsters  for the first boiling. I have never known Lady Cristi not to flower has anyone else?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Early potatoes not flowering
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 22:54:31 »
Not one of my varieties, sorry. If the tubers are up to the size you want dig them up, they don't have to flower.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 23:27:39 »
It's been a funny year for a lot of things ... my earlies flowered almost immediately!  However underground they have been a bit more normal.  If I were you I'd be in there eating them all ... the whole point of earlies is that you get in there and eat them all when they're still nice and small and tasty ... and by July you should be using that bit of ground to put another crop in. 

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:07:06 »
I've noticed an odd thing with the flowering of my Pink Fir apple potatoes this year.  I planted a dozen I'd purchased, and a  dozen of my saved seed.  The plants now look exactly the same, except that the saved seed have been in flower for at least three weeks, and the others show no sign of flower at all!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 08:25:18 »
sorry I cant offer any advise re your spud variety but I just noticed your question also relates to the earlies I have in the garden plot
my charlottes are flowering but salads are not.....but...I did not realise you can pull and eat the tubers without them going through their growing process ....as ive always relied on seeing the flowers to indicate that they have normal growth....so thanks for pointing that out.

Gazza

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 10:34:40 »
Hey Gazza, long time no see! Glad to know you are around and growing potatoes - and cooking?!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:06 »
sorry I cant offer any advise re your spud variety but I just noticed your question also relates to the earlies I have in the garden plot
my charlottes are flowering but salads are not.....but...I did not realise you can pull and eat the tubers without them going through their growing process ....as ive always relied on seeing the flowers to indicate that they have normal growth....so thanks for pointing that out.

Gazza
Some of the modern varieties have been breed not to flower so once the tubers are big enough to eat then OK to lift them.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 19:03:25 »
I had to grow potatoes this year in bags at home as we had to vacate our site last September and the new one is still not ready.   I planted Wilja at the end of March and Sarpo Mira in April.   The Wilja have not flowered at all but the Sarpo have and are still in flower although some of the blooms have gone.   I did empty a couple of bags of Wilja last weekend and the skins could be rubbed off.   The potatoes were absolutely delicious - even my daughter-in-law described the taste as amazing!!   It has been suggested to me that sometimes with the early varieties they do not flower but I have grown Wilja for about the past 40 years and this is the first year they haven't.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 20:22:57 »
some of my earlies flowered some didnt its the same every year  however flower or not the size and the taste seem to be the same only in my opinion hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 08:57:45 »
thanks,im afraid silly health issues keeping me down but not bloody well out.....prior to my issues have got bean rack and pea arches
in full flow along with spuds and lots of onions,fruit corner has been plentiful with daily gathering of some lovely strawberry's on our breakfast and green and red goosies taking colour as we speak so goosy fool is on the cards and mid to late raspberrys doing well along with thornless blackberrys making a good showing already enjoyed stewed rhubarb and custard...plus we are still eating last seasions apple tree frozen chunks and both apple trees are fruiting nicely for this year.....albeit everything is in miniature in our garden as don't have a plot any longer.....still enquired with council and still a 10 year waiting list...so have given up on that idea.

cheers laurie.....I will test a couple of the tatters and see if they are ready for the next supper.

sorry im not a frequent flyer in here as once was as caring for mum takes time each day before addressing own issues but hey that's life isn't it .....Jude mum and myself all still enjoying life here in Dorset.

Gazza

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:01 »
Nice to see you on here again gazza.   I have had to grow potatoes in bags at home this year as they closed the site last September and haven't bothered to start work on the new site yet - not sure if they ever will.   I have put in for one with Poole council but will have to wait probably about 4 years.

Glad you are still enjoying life down here.

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 17:41:43 »
most of my Lady C potatos not flowered except 1 or 2. but I goot decent crop of 3 kilos from 3 plants in 8-10 weeks after planting.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 21:27:41 »
So good to hear from you, Gazza.  We miss you!  And  we most certainly miss your wonderful photographs and recipes, and your good cheer.  Are you still getting fishing?
And good to hear you are still growing lots, and appreciating your harvest.
All the best

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 15:33:39 »
I had the same problem.  New to vegetable growing: I put in some Sharpes Express in the home garden and in a tub.  No flowers.  Pulled 3 plants on Sunday there wee potatoes but still did not seem right and the remaining plants show no sign of flowers.

Down at the allotment I have Pentland Javlin, Nadine late earlies and all are starting to flower.  Odd

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal