Author Topic: cherry tree  (Read 3305 times)

ladycosmos

• Not So New ...
cherry tree
« on: June 25, 2016, 16:48:38 »
I have a small cherry tree in my garden. This is the second year. There is a lot of fruit growing this year for the first time. Within a few days I can start picking it.
What do I have to do at the end of the summer to get lots of fruit next year?

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:07:52 »
I would like to know the answer to that too! I have a Morello cherry which has fruited well for three years but I have done very little pruning apart from opening it out. I haven't had the nerve to do much else as it seems to fruit towards the end of the branches and I am not sure if I prune them back whether I will have a year with very little. It does mean that it is just getting wider and wider. What sort of cherry is yours, and how are you trying to train it?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 15:15:31 »
Sweet cherries on 2 year old wood. Prune after fruiting to encourage new shoots for 2 years time. do it every year for a constant supply.

ladycosmos

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 17:47:56 »
The first year is was not growing at all but this spring it was growing for 1 m 50 with very long branches. So after eating all the cherries I start pruning....Make the tree thinner and shorter.....and than it can recovering.......
Thanks for the advice....

ladycosmos

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 19:57:14 »
It is a Rheinische Schattenmorelle.......with a max of 2,5 mtr.
Any idea when to put some manure? I guess in autumn......

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 20:06:14 »
young cherry trees should be manured twice a year mid spring and autumn do this for the first 3 years then once a year in the spring hope this helps and welcome to a4a hope you enjoy it as much as i have
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ladycosmos

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 22:32:09 »
Thanks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 23:13:49 »
I hope you realise that your tree is a sour cherry ladycosmos, since you mentioned 'eating' them.  I have this variety too. In more than ten years I have only really pruned it hard once and then only because the long thin branches were almost touching the ground. I get a huge crop every year - pitted and frozen they last me all year for pies, jam and compote (great with porridge in winter!). I usually trim excessive growth and dead branches when the tree is dormant.

My tree is about 1.5 m high and wide grown against an east facing fence. Biggest harvest was last year, 6.8kg. It was quite a chore pitting them all :tongue3:.

This year the tree has shed quite a lot of imperfectly pollinated fruit, probably due to the adverse weather, but there will still be a very good crop at the end of July.

Tricia  :wave:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 23:21:55 by tricia »

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:35:00 »
I wonder why so few people are growing cherrytrees grafted on a dwarfing rootstock(gisela 5 for instance)
then no pruning required except for the odd misplaced twig

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal