Author Topic: not allotment related but  (Read 8917 times)

ACE

• Hectare
not allotment related but
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:07:12 »
Are there any techies out there that can put some instructions in plain English. I am building a small website on one site but purchased the domain on another and for the life of me I cannot seem so transfer it over. Loads of instructions on the net but I am having a senior moment and cannot fathom out the language. HELP!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: not allotment related but
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:22:14 »
Ehhhhhhh!

What instructions would that be then Ace?  What language would that be?  Have you tried Babble or goggle translate?

Willing to apply my tired brain to assist but don't know if i need mole grips or a socket set to break open the box.

Bill

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:58:24 »

I'm no expert but I would have thought that all you needed to do was open up your new site in your FTP then browse through your files on your PC click on it/them (your original sites local file name) and paste it/them into your new sites upload column (remote site)

If all your passwords and addresses are OK then it should upload under your new domain name!

Metanurb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 14:51:41 »
After 11 years of lurking I'm finally about to pop my posting cherry.

I'm unsure exactly what it is you're trying to do, when you say 'transfer' do you actually mean that or are you just trying to 'point' the domain name to where your website files are?

Transfer and Point are 2 very different things on tinternet when dealing with domain names. It's possible you're looking for the wrong thing which is adding to the confusion.

Transfer will move your domain name from one company to the other. Point will tell the computer with the domain name where the website is.

If you want to transfer then try the help pages on the company which has the website, if you want to point then try the company with the domain name.

Basically how it works is the company with the domain name has the equivalent of a phone directory called a "DNS record" which needs to know where your website is on the internet. When you type in your website name into your browser it first goes to the DNS server and is then invisibly redirected to the "phone number" of the website server.

(the above is missing a few steps and not exactly correct but the easiest way I can think of to explain)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 14:53:53 by Metanurb »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 17:06:22 »
After 11 years of lurking I'm finally about to pop my posting cherry.

I'm unsure exactly what it is you're trying to do, when you say 'transfer' do you actually mean that or are you just trying to 'point' the domain name to where your website files are?

Transfer and Point are 2 very different things on tinternet when dealing with domain names. It's possible you're looking for the wrong thing which is adding to the confusion.

Transfer will move your domain name from one company to the other. Point will tell the computer with the domain name where the website is.

If you want to transfer then try the help pages on the company which has the website, if you want to point then try the company with the domain name.

Basically how it works is the company with the domain name has the equivalent of a phone directory called a "DNS record" which needs to know where your website is on the internet. When you type in your website name into your browser it first goes to the DNS server and is then invisibly redirected to the "phone number" of the website server.

(the above is missing a few steps and not exactly correct but the easiest way I can think of to explain)

Hope that helps.

Yep! Thats what I was trying to get across!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 18:03:52 »
Ace if you post what companies are doing what then one of us will be able to offer better instructions.  PM me if you don't want it public!
But it can be very simple if you use web forwarding..

So I have a domain - barriedaleallotments.org.uk and this domain was bought by 123-reg and is hosted there.  By hosted I don't mean actual web pages just the info for the domain
I also have a blogspot account and a blog with an address of http://barriedalebblog.blogspot.co.uk

But I want the world to use my real domain name not some crappy blogspot domain so I use Web Forwarding to point one to the other.

This works with most domain name providers and I can point my domain name at any site on the net without having to get involved in DNS and other techy things (which I actually like doing!) and change it if I want. 
Godaddy instructions for webforwarding - https://uk.godaddy.com/help/forward-a-domain-12123

So you can have a wordpress site, wix, weebly or blog - as long as it has an url you can point your domain name to it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 20:32:19 »
Hello Barriedalenick.

This is interesting as I have a weebly account let's call it blucarallotments.weebly.com, which is a bit cumbersome, if I set up a domain with 123 or someone else,  and get it registered as bluecar.org.uk do I then just set up an account with godaddy? Also is this free? If I went with 123 or someone else would it be best to use there web forwarding service or doesn't it matter?

Regards

Bluecar

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 21:21:27 »
Thanks barriedalenick, my head is all over the place at the minute. I will private message you in the next few days, but as my domain was purchased from godaddy and I need it on moonfruit I will try their transfer help site first. Then if no joy I will give you the details so you can help. tHANKYOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 11:00:38 »
Hello Barriedalenick.

This is interesting as I have a weebly account let's call it blucarallotments.weebly.com, which is a bit cumbersome, if I set up a domain with 123 or someone else,  and get it registered as bluecar.org.uk do I then just set up an account with godaddy? Also is this free? If I went with 123 or someone else would it be best to use there web forwarding service or doesn't it matter?

Regards

Bluecar

So 123-reg or godaddy do the same thing and I have accounts with both.  What you would do would be to go to either and buy your domain (and yes your domain is available!!)
You would pay 123-reg £14 for two years to host the domain.  As they host the domain you need to use their web forwarding.  What happens is that when someone types bluecar.org.uk in a browser your computer goes away to the net and looks up where that actually is.  That request will eventually end up at 123-reg's servers and they will point your request to your weebly account.
The best bit is that no-one will know you are on a weebly site as bluecar.org.uk will be in the browser. 

I haven't used godaddy's forwarding but it is very similar..

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 11:15:15 »
Thanks barriedalenick, my head is all over the place at the minute. I will private message you in the next few days, but as my domain was purchased from godaddy and I need it on moonfruit I will try their transfer help site first. Then if no joy I will give you the details so you can help. tHANKYOU.

Should be a breeze Ace!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 11:28:12 »
It is quite simple really

You need the details from https://support.moonfruit.com/hc/en-us/articles/207074869-Pointing-an-external-domain-to-us

And follow the instructions at https://uk.godaddy.com/help/add-a-cname-record-19236

Note it can take up to 48 hours after you do this before it works the time depends on your internet provider and how often they update their DNS records sometimes in is near instantaneous others take ages.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:32:01 by daveyboi »
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 11:38:15 »
Note the above instructions keeps Godaddy as your domain registrar. If you have only just purchased your domain name you will not be able to transfer the domain to Moonfruit as a new registrar for a while.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 19:00:17 »
Thanks Barriedalenick.

Hopefully it's as simple as it sounds.

Regards

Bluecar

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 09:24:34 »
Thanks for your help everybody, but somehow my bumbling through has produced results. I will post the finished website up on here when I have tweeked it and it is ready for public viewing. Barriedalenick, pointed out some problems I might have by being too open with my info. Hopefully that is now rectified. The sun is shining you can now get back to your plots and stop having to look after a silly old sod who should know better than get involved with things he knows bugger all about.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal