Author Topic: Garlic question  (Read 3546 times)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Garlic question
« on: June 22, 2016, 22:38:06 »
I have just taken up some hard neck garlic, or that is what I think they are. I haven't noticed any scapes but the stems have a small swelling near the bulb, about an inch away, full of little "pips". What are they?!
Thanks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Garlic question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 23:23:33 »
They are called 'sidebolts'.  This does happen fairly often with softneck garlics.  Especially when the garlic is a bit stressed.  These flower scapes are growing very weakly.  They get stuck inside the stem of the garlic and never make it to the top like the hardneck garlics do. 

If the plants with sidebolts are left growing, the bulbils can get quite reasonable size.  A slit in the stem and they can be harvested first.  At this stage the skin on the little garlic bulbils is so soft, it goes straight into the garlic press without peeling.  The rest of the plant dries off like normal and keeps too.   

Here is a picture of a sidebolt (halfway down the page) on an artichoke garlic.  They are often less prominent and don't stick out as much as the one in the picture, but it gives you an idea.
https://goingtoseed.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/page/2/

Do you happen to remember which variety you planted InfraDig?

:wave:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 23:34:36 by galina »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:21 »
They are called 'sidebolts'.  This does happen fairly often with softneck garlics.  Especially when the garlic is a bit stressed.  These flower scapes are growing very weakly.  They get stuck inside the stem of the garlic and never make it to the top like the hardneck garlics do. 

If the plants with sidebolts are left growing, the bulbils can get quite reasonable size.  A slit in the stem and they can be harvested first.  At this stage the skin on the little garlic bulbils is so soft, it goes straight into the garlic press without peeling.  The rest of the plant dries off like normal and keeps too.   

Here is a picture of a sidebolt (halfway down the page) on an artichoke garlic.  They are often less prominent and don't stick out as much as the one in the picture, but it gives you an idea.
https://goingtoseed.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/page/2/

Do you happen to remember which variety you planted InfraDig?

:wave:
thank you for that galina concise piece of info
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 15:01:22 »
Thanks very much for that Galina! I think I may have confused myself (easily done!) when planting and mixed up the cloves!
The only hardneck garlic I have knowingly bought, about 7 years ago, was Sultop. I have used that up until now, though to be fair they have never given a very good return. I just like to see the the scapes!! I think the ones I was asking about are descendants of a Dobies offering in Oct 2013 of Champion White and Champion Purple. I planted the garlic on 24th Oct 2015.
As an aside, several of the garlics have cloves but no outer covering of the whole garlic.

Thanks again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 15:43:47 »
Thanks very much for that Galina!

As an aside, several of the garlics have cloves but no outer covering of the whole garlic.

Thanks again.

You are welcome.  Are you saying that the usual garlic cloves are fully divided, but have no outer skin?  If so, this tends to happen when garlic is dug up a bit late.  The outer layers start to disintegrate bit by bit when the leaves start to dry up.  Initially there are as many layers as there are leaves, but if the plants are left, they rot away layer by layer.  Hope it isn't some nasty rot that has caused this, but with this year's weather anything is possible.

Unfortunately cloves without skins won't store for as long because they dry out quicker.  But they will keep for a while and if they are getting drier, you could freeze them squeezed.  I know people also keep them mashed up in the fridge or put them into oil in the fridge but I have never done this myself.  :wave:

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 22:12:33 »
The individual cloves have skins, it is just the outside skin of the whole garlic that is not there. It is only on a few of the garlics and there is no obvious sign of rotting. I understand what you are saying about not lifting them quick enough. I usually expect them to have a good baking in the sun and didn't stop to think of the date!!
Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal