Author Topic: Heavy handed son's tool breakage has positive outcome for a change!  (Read 5161 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Persuaded (ok, bribed) my 19yr old son to come to the allotment to do some heavy lifting for me, and to dig out several ancient fruit bushes that I have eventually decided to give up on after 10 years.

Within 10 minutes, he had led a wave of devastation through my tools: bent a heavy duty trowel, bent two prongs on a stainless steel fork, bent a spade, then to top it all managed to surpass himself by breaking the wooden shaft of my best fork!

I used the metal end as a door stop for the shed, and gave the wooden shaft to OH to see if he could do something with it.....he presented me with this!
Good eh!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Sorry to hear about your damaged tools but that sort of thing has been useful to me at times.

Occasionally someone will fly tip a broken tool or two around the plots so  I clean up at the back of them.

But it does not end there I have them repaired!

I am lucky in so far as there is a tool shop near me that re- shafts tools for a very nominal fee.

In fact the last tool I had repaired was a stainless steel fork like the one you have shown so I ended up with a virtually new fork with a split D handle for around a tenner.

Pity you don't live closer then I could have got yours repaired for you.......sorry!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
That sounds very reasonable! You are lucky to have somewhere as useful as that near you, I'm old enough to remember when I lived in London a bloke with a barrow used to come around sharpening and mending tools, and we had proper Ironmongers to boot... I used to love the smell of that shop!

I've never seen a fork shaft snapped like that before, boy clearly doesn't know his own strength, although clearly his digging technique is more of an attack than a technique! I didn't have the heart to critique OH's dibber lines, leeks are going to be as deep as I can get them, but it was a lovely thought none the less!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

ACE

• Hectare
Unbreakable steel shaft contractors  forks in B and Q at the moment £8. A proper mans fork, no good for delicate ladies or if you are a big mothers blouse.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Unbreakable steel shaft contractors  forks in B and Q at the moment £8. A proper mans fork, no good for delicate ladies or if you are a big mothers blouse.
im a big mothers blouse only use a border folk steel shafts way too heavy for my back i takes me a little longer but i get there in the end lifes a journey not a race lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....

My son will probably just take it as a challenge...he can buy me a replacement!

Are you keeping out of the way of the IOW invasion (sorry, festival) this week Ace? I have some mates who are in your neck of the woods at the moment there.

ACE

• Hectare

Are you keeping out of the way of the IOW invasion (sorry, festival) this week Ace? I have some mates who are in your neck of the woods at the moment there.

No I love it, thousands and thousands of happy faces, you can't beat it. We could  perform on one of the smaller stages with our band. The organisers always give local musicians the chance to take part, good for all the youngsters who are trying to get up the ladder. But been there, done that, got the T shirt, I don't need fame and fortune nowadays, happy with what I have got.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....

No I love it, thousands and thousands of happy faces, you can't beat it. We could  perform on one of the smaller stages with our band. The organisers always give local musicians the chance to take part, good for all the youngsters who are trying to get up the ladder. But been there, done that, got the T shirt, I don't need fame and fortune nowadays, happy with what I have got.

Never been to that one (hulking son has), don't go to as many festivals these days as most too blooming organised and rigid for my liking but have been to Bearded Theory just up the road from us past two years and its become our favourite, great mix of bands, not too big, decent beer at normal prices and great mix of people of all ages, love it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal