Author Topic: Share Your Surplus Bounty With New Food Sharing App  (Read 5511 times)

BenC87

Share Your Surplus Bounty With New Food Sharing App
« on: May 31, 2016, 15:54:23 »
Hello folks,
How are you all?
As you very well know, allotments can often yield a bumper harvest and a glut of fresh fruit and vegetables can sometimes get on top of a grower, leading to wastage. Well, It doesn’t have to be this way!
OLIO - The Food Sharing Revolution is a free app that gives you the opportunity to make the most of your glorious glut by sharing it.

Edit to remove some promoting text and link to moderation. Perhaps you can confirm your interest, as self advertising would need to be agreed by the site owner?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:59:23 by Jayb »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Share Your Surplus Bounty With New Food Sharing App
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 16:02:48 »
What is your experience of this?  What is your involvement with this?  Do you need a smartphone for this?  Can't quite work out how this functions, but sounds a good idea in principle.   :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 20:44:20 »
Oh, what a "SUPER IDEA"!
 Unfortunately the most active seekers of your generosity are likely not to be the "needy",or"lightly established" migrant, or even frustrated would -be allotment holders festering on some councils' hundred plus strong waiting list but some quick- to- thumb potato couch who will just sweep by and take the lot.
Am I cynical to excess or just maintaining my preference, to " grade" my donations and happily compost the rest.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 21:14:01 »
I don't need an app to give away any surplus produce to my neighbours (not even courgettes), Most apps are there to make money for the designer - which is fine, but this site is about allotments and not about advertising. My apologies if this app is totally non profit making for the owner, but if profit is being made then either this thread should be removed or contributions should go to Dan. If the app is not profit making then, as always, it is up to the individual as to whether they want to make use of it.

Regards

Bluecar

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 21:15:37 »
As the "I've just joined this forum to advertise something you might all be interested in" first posts go ... this one looks to be one of the most useful and well-meaning so I'd leave the cynical head on the shelf for a few minutes.

It sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea to make sure that food doesn't go to waste.  Add to that the fact that one of the founders is called Saasha Celestial-One and it looks even better!!

The only part of the website which worries me is : "All OLIO users are responsible for ensuring that they are compliant with the safety and hygiene standards set out by the Food Standards Agency. More information can be found here ..."  I'm not sure even the food that I grow for myself complies with all the regulations which are linked to on the site.  But for small businesses and caterers who have to comply with these regulations anyway - this looks to be a great way of making sure they are throwing away less and more food gets used up.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:52:11 »
Hoping to get my questions answered pronto!  If not, that tells me all I need to know  :BangHead:

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:31:29 »
Ben- maybe you could explain more about your involvement.
Most of us already have our own network for distributing surplus so not need an a "virtual" one. However it is an interesting concept, but as it is your first post people who are longstanding gardeners naturally are curious.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 18:31:23 »
I have various friends and family who have produce.  Rest is composted or given to our allotment porkers.

I hate people who want something for nothing.  Growing things are not free for me.   If I compost the waste then at least the goodness goes back into the soil.

Malcolm Brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 19:11:24 »
My Grandad had his 2.5 acre 'garden' with fruit, veg., chickens and rabbits for meat.  In the 30s people would come begging but he would first ask them if they had a garden.  If they said yes he would asses whether they were boozers, if they were he would give them some seeds and if they weren't he would give them 6d to go and buy some.  If they didn't have a garden he would tell them to put their name down for an allotment and when they got one to come back and he would give them some young plants.  Tough love from a strong Methodist.

His photo is in the album below.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:13:28 »
My Grandad had his 2.5 acre 'garden' with fruit, veg., chickens and rabbits for meat.  In the 30s people would come begging but he would first ask them if they had a garden.  If they said yes he would asses whether they were boozers, if they were he would give them some seeds and if they weren't he would give them 6d to go and buy some.  If they didn't have a garden he would tell them to put their name down for an allotment and when they got one to come back and he would give them some young plants.  Tough love from a strong Methodist.

His photo is in the album below.

The photo in the album entitled "feathered Vandals" I cannot work out what has been wrecked? was sweet potatoes?

Malcolm Brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:28:13 »
They are Jiffy Plugs and they have been thrown about by pigeons.  No pigeons this year but mice have decided that bean seeds are really tasty.  Life gets tedious don't it?

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:45 »
They are Jiffy Plugs and they have been thrown about by pigeons.  No pigeons this year but mice have decided that bean seeds are really tasty.  Life gets tedious don't it?

That's obvious now you have explained it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal