Author Topic: Tomato leaf .... Normal?  (Read 5352 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Tomato leaf .... Normal?
« on: May 28, 2016, 17:22:56 »

Does this look ok....transplanted a week ago. I think looks like yellowing between margins?
Jackie

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Tomato leaf .... Normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 00:53:52 »
I have to say that for a recently transplanted one ... that looks unusually healthy compared to mine!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 08:42:35 »
Squeezyjohn, you have made my day :)

It's just odd that I've transplanted three varieties, with a few of each....same compost but two are showing start of yellowing within a week of transplant. Others are not.
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:08 »
I've a few looking similar, I thought a Manganese deficiency?

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:47:37 »
I'd thought that JayB....but surprised if so as just put in a well known compost :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 17:19:40 »
Are you using seed compost might be a bit light on nutrients.  Suggest an extra feed, it cannot do any harm.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 21:31:25 »
Digeroo, I think you have cracked it. I usually mix multi purpose with John Innes. I think I've accidentally used some of the sowing mix for one batch....as others I potted up in a different day are fine and a third of my seed compost is gone.
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 16:15:00 »
it might be the cool nights we are having  as you potted them on there is more compost to hold more water so it gets cold and the plant gets stressed its been really cold here on the sunshine coast today very windy so i took a pic of my alliums to cheer myself up and you can just see some tomatoes getting hardened off much to their distaste 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 15:40:45 »
Hector there are so many things that can make newly transplanted tomatoes in cold weather look a bit odd,  it is probably 'just' a bit of lack of nutrients.  Similarly purple edged leaves or curled up leaves are usually of no concern.  Most of these rectify themselves quite quickly.  And the cause is often just cold or a lack of nitrogen, or just 'sulking' after being planted out. 

With young plants I would not assume that anything was amiss, unless they really don't pick up and thrive in a few weeks.   :wave:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 19:20:36 »
Update....they are all now looking much greener and happier...I have green tomatoes (leaves and fruit) !
Jackie

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 21:45:03 »
Most plants look a bit miserable for a week or so after planting out.  They're normally just getting their bearings and growing their roots before taking off again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal