Author Topic: Packeting of Seeds and Viability  (Read 5026 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Packeting of Seeds and Viability
« on: May 27, 2016, 22:28:33 »
I tried earlier this year to grow several seeds from a packet of early peas purchased  in 2014  in roottrainers and only one grew! Then later I sowed two lines in situ  on the allotment and none came up. I strongly suspect that the seeds have lost their viability despite apparently being only 3 years old (Viability for pea seeds is supposed to be 3-5 years
and that's what I have found in the past).
There is no packeting date on the seed packet which makes me suspicious.
Anyone had a similar experience?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Packeting of Seeds and Viability
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 23:01:34 »
yes, it can be quite annoying. On the other hand I've just planted half a dozen ipomea varieties some dated "sow by 2010" and all of them have come up within a week...    :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:53 »
Did you perform the autopsy? To find if the seeds started to sprout? Often early plantings may fail due to too much water, not enough warmth ,and rot. The plot planted ones may have also rotted, or run away on four little legs! If you have any of that batch left, why not sprout them in a jar and see what they do. Please report.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:19:37 »
I sowed two long gutters of Alderman peas, freshly bought, sprouted in damp paper and put into normal bought compost that is working well with other seeds. Both sets came up, if at all, distorted and stunted. Threw one lot away but left the other in which a few seedlings are looking fairly reasonable. I put it down to something wrong with the seeds, as I always use the sprouting method and this has never happened before.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 15:20:09 »
maybe they got too hot either in storage or in the shop having said that i gave my mate some pumkin and squash seeds to grow for me he forgot them in the back pocket of his jeans his wife washed them and put them through the tumble dryer and yes they all germinated maybe thats where you went wrong lol 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 20:01:29 »
Unearthed them today - no sign of peas at al,l either germinated or seeds. The only one there was the single one that I originally germinated in the roottrainers. No signs of disturbed earth which would eliminate our mousey friends.
Re-sowed with a different pack and variety.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 21:44:24 »
 Ha some else having problems with peas   .I sowed my 3rd batch  to day with  fresh seed . The previous two 1 was sown in pots  and a no show thought they may have rotted  2 was sown in open ground  each time only a couple came though using last years seed  So bought fresh to try again third time lucky

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:13 »
I've had pea germination problems this year but all from packs of kelvedon wonder lidls and wilkinsons from this season. Feeling very behind as only the salmon flowered and mange tout are growing.

They rotted in a variety of situations that normally have no issues.
Just sown onwards yesterday in a big batch to try to make up the gaps. X sunloving

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 09:40:47 »
Home-saved peas last 6-9 years (or if you are goodlife you can get meaningful germination from 13 year old seeds).

Commercial packets is a gamble.  They were germination tested when they went in the packet (EU rules make sure that only viable seeds go into a packet), but what happens to them afterwards nobody knows.  I agree you should have had better germination.  The usual problem (if not furry critters) is keeping them too damp.

But who knows what might have happened to the seed packet in the meantime.  Some gardeners keep their seeds in the shed (too moist and wide temperature swings).  Garden centres keep them on seed racks often outdoors (same issue, strong sunlight one minute, damp the next).  It isn't always your fault.  You didn't say where you bought them from.  There is something to be said for buying mail order from a reputable company, at least you won't get the garden centre seed storage lottery.

Seeds from abroad can be a little less viable often too, I guess because they go through scanners at customs and X-rays or similar aren't good for longevity.

Better luck to everybody when you try again.  If pre-grown maybe bottom water and sow out of direct sunlight.   :wave:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 12:12:56 »
I have got a problem with courgette seeds, think I planted them to early and as my plastic greenhouse is no more, think it was too cold in pots outside.  I have got some more planted but nothing yet, so may have to buy plants or beg for other allotment people.  I don't believe it, a year without courgettes, or well at least I will not have to leave them on neighbours door stops in the middle of the night.  :sunny:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:22 »
I germinated some 'Parsley' self saved peas this year that were at least seven years old this year and about half came up which I thought wasn't bad. Courgettes however have also proven to be a bit of a bogey area for me as well. I bought several packets of T &M Cavili courgettes two years ago, this year none have germinated despite two sowings, so this is the first year I have been without any of these. I do have plenty of other varieties though so won't be without, but it's annoying because it's to late to try and source some elsewhere... :BangHead:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 15:43:58 »
In the  London area you can certainly still sow courgettes.  They should germinate very fast and romp away at this time of year.  Maybe sow direct and protect the seeds with bottle cloches.  Good luck :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 20:53:05 »
Don't give up on your courgettes too quickly. I sowed 4 types this year, 2 were commercial new this year,1 was a friends homesaved which looked like flat empty duds and the 4th was a commercial but they were very old seeds so I sowed the lot.

Almost overnight I had germination on three lots, including the duds, but nothing on the old seeded one.

The first three were potted on and still the 4th pot was in the heated propagator, then after nearly a month they sprouted,,, all of them, now I have so many I am going crazy with them.I looked at my calendar and they took 34 days!!

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal