Author Topic: crazy paving  (Read 6769 times)

eastybeasty1

• Not So New ...
crazy paving
« on: May 27, 2016, 14:39:38 »
hi

I've not used this forum in years (sorry!) and not even sure if this is the best place to ask. A wee memory lurking in the back of my head makes me think I've asked before but I've had a look and I cant find my original post. (if there was one!)

I'm going to be borrowig a pressure washer soon and going to attack the weeds between the cracks of my crazy paving. i seem to think al i do is once the weeds are away is to sweep cement into the cracks so when it rains this will fill up the gaps.....is this right or have i dreamt it?  :toothy10: :toothy10: any advice gratefully received!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: crazy paving
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 15:49:30 »
What a good question and I would also like the answer please.   :happy7:

I know about brushing sand in the gaps, but sand seems to turn into something that weeds like to grow in in no time at all.

The alternative would be weedkiller, which I suspect most people use for this application, but I would not like to use it and my patio is often a bit on the untidy side until I get around to weeding between the cracks.   :wave:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 16:24:08 »
It is a solution of sorts but unless the weeds are removed to well below the surface they will grow back through the cement probably.

Ideal solution is to weed kill first ... maybe vinegar or sugar if chemicals are not in your choice.

Then either fill the cracks with made up cement or brush and water in a sand cement mixture and hope it sets well.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

eastybeasty1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 16:34:57 »
yeah i'd thought bout weedkiller but other innocent plants can sometimes get caught up in the crossfire :( so if i can blast them out with a power washer (sounds like fun - havent used one before!) then stop the little pests coming back so much the better. reckon the paving will look better all nicely cemented rather than gaps......or worse....weedy! :D

was just about to post the above when i noticed the reply. thanks for the tip about vinegar first. so what would be the best cement? just some that i make up myself? sorry to be so clueless but trying to make sure i know what i'm doing, it's a thought undertaking stuff sometimes and i'd rather it was done properly the first time rather than waste time and money :) :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 18:45:09 »
Use ordinary Portland cement mixed with dry silver/ very fine sand* at a ratio of 2 or 3  parts sand to 1 part cement, then brush it over the paving and it will trickle into the voids/ cracks.

* B&Q do a kiln dried sand which is ideal for this task and is a lot cheaper than silver sand.

It is best to do this task when the paving is bone dry otherwise you wil end up with cement smeared paving.

The natural atmospheric humidity and dampness within the cracks will usually be enough to make the cement mixture set.

If you find it isn't setting within say 24 hours lightly spray the area with a fine misting of clean water.

A plant pump spray would be ideal, not the power washer as this will wash out the sand cement mix.

Do not over wet it as the water run off will be contaminated with cement dust and the paving will end up an off white/ grey colour which is very difficult to remove.

I will leave you to decide on the weed killing treatment.

eastybeasty1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 19:31:58 »
thank you very much, that's appreciated.  so I'm assuming after i powerwash all the wee (or not so wee) weeds away i should treat the area before the cement? my plan for a nicer garden is slowly coming together (i feel like this nearly calls for an evil laugh while rubbing my hands.......but i should reserve that for evil plans.......)   :toothy10: :toothy10: :glasses9: :angel11:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:02:36 »
Be careful regarding the pressure washer and loose stones.It will propel these as if fired from a catapault, causing alarm and distress to onlookers, glazing and riccochets to self .Wear eye protection!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 09:34:35 »
Been having another think about this task, and thought of a couple of things and they are.

You can now buy a mortar mix where the cement and sand is already mixed and all you do is add water, in your case you wouldn't even to do this as you will be brushing it in straight from the bag.

The other thought is the method I have described is usually applied to paving with regular width joints such as brick paviours and areas of paving flags.

With crazy paving you re not going to have regular width joints so you might be better mixing the mortar, keeping it quite stiff and pointing the joints with a pointing trowel.

To save time you could point the wide joints and brush in dry mortar into the narrow joints.

If I had a picture of the area I could make a more informed answer.

I hope this helps....Tg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 15:47:24 »
Just a thought about weeds between your paving, I read somewhere only recently that some councils are using very hot water to kill weeds instead of weed killer. I don't know in what type of situation but it may well work with yours. Try a kettle full of boiling water on a patch and see what happens.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 22:04:26 »
Hey wait a minute ! .....Daveyboi.......sugar ? ! You use sugar to kill weeds ?  really  ? Please tell me how you treat weeds with sugar ?   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:21:40 »
Hey wait a minute ! .....Daveyboi.......sugar ? ! You use sugar to kill weeds ?  really  ? Please tell me how you treat weeds with sugar ?   :coffee2:

It is not an actual weed killer however sugar reduces the soil nitrogen levels which starves the weeds as most weeds love high nitrogen levels
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

eastybeasty1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 13:28:50 »
thanks everyone :).....for some daft reason hadnt thought about a picture but if i can get my camera to behave i'll take one and post it. this forum is great, so many friendly people with a lot of experience and knowledge :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal