Author Topic: new plot  (Read 14454 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
new plot
« on: May 21, 2016, 15:27:31 »
just imagine how excited i was when i was told i could have a half a plot next to my two the chap had been asked to leave as he made no attempt to cultivate it over the last 3 years so his time to retrieve his belongings etc 2 weeks is up tomorrow so today i thought id have a little look at what I'm up against to my horror he has poured what looks like engine oil all over the plot  I'm hoping that the weeds have took most of it but it looks like ill have to scalp the plot first then get rid of the oil soaked soil down the tip  then try to improve it and hope for the best i hope he feels really proud of himself in destroying another mans pleasure with his stupidity and bloody mindlessness i ask how do sleep at night and in a world of what goes around comes around i cant wait untill its your turn and something really bad happens to something you enjoy rant over oh and if you read this also enjoy your lifetime ban from our sites    enjoy
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: new plot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 15:47:15 »
The ~^*>~*+€$"##*

that means I am am questioning his parentage!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 15:54:34 »
The ~^*>~*+€$"##*

that means I am am questioning his parentage!
as normal i agree with tg

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 21:49:47 »
Assuming its used engine oil(even a numbshell would not use good oil!), its the contaminants that are the risk. Clean oil would destroy plantlife initially, but will degrade in time, its organic ,decayed residues and soil bacteria will eventually get to grips with it. Probably only a surface coating, hopefully it wont have soaked in far, unless "numbskull" has a ready source  for quantity. Its definitely an offence under environmental law, the Environment agency should be informed and asked to pursue for compensation and/or prosecution. Their biggest concern is that ground water may become contaminated.I hope its below ,not above, your main plot.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 00:08:06 »
Just a thought when you come to remove the problem.

Would a flame gun do a decent job?

I would have thought it might burn up the surplus oil and as a bonus burn the weeds.

As I say it is only a thought!

ps my concern is your sandy soil is free draining will the oil have penetrated this deeper than say a denser soil, I hop not.

Best of luck which ever way you go...Tg

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:09 »
A very sad story.

The problem is that used engine oil contains pollutants like lead, cadmium, benzene and chromium often as very tiny metal fragments that are hazardous. You would be wise to avoid eating anything from this plot until you are 100% sure it is safe to do so.

Although it may be difficult for you this really needs to involve the proper authorities. This is a serious crime and the idiot who did it deserves to be prosecuted. I hope your local authority will step up and assist.

A very sad story.

Beersmith
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:06:35 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 17:09:10 »
thanks for all your comments i managed  to dig out the soil until i saw no trace it took me hours all been taken to the tip and put into the contaminated bin I've been trying to get the environment agency involved however not seeing him do it and only circumstantial evidence i had to let it lie  got into the shed today there was an empty 2 stroke oil bottle which i think was the offending article now i can get to grips with the shed and plot shed roof needs felting do that tomorrow then edge the plot put the edgings into the holes i made digging out the oil then manure then straw then card board then weed membrane  then 4 raised beds then bark around the beds then greenhouse erected then coldframe if you say it quick i should be finished by lunch lol thanks again for the support :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 20:24:40 »
well tomorrow i had my new half plot one week greenhouse is all done auto openers all working all edges completed  one of the two beds half dug really slow going i only use a border spade/fork as my back is not as resilient as it once was every fork full has couch dock and dandylion roots so its a barrow full of roots every yard put a new carpet in the shed we have a walk around next sunday so im trying to get it all dug by then and the pergola for the grape vine , wisteria,jasmine and  patio laid  before the next one as well as looking after my other two think my wife thinks i have left home however i have been too busy to take pics so  will try to take some later this week and of the other half so you can see what ive been up against  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 00:20:58 »
Sounds like you're loving this Johhnyco15  :sunny:

I'm also thinking of taking on an extra half-plot and it really is quite exciting ... it needs it's whole fence re-doing which is essential because of rabbits and it's waist high in weeds.  But I'm finding my original half-plot is not enough for me and I kind of miss the sense of conquering territory that I had before mine was under control.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 20:11:10 »
OK 1 week on ill have to post pics individually as file size is too big from this

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 20:12:03 »
to this

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 20:12:47 »
and this

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 20:17:53 »
to an extention for winter tea breaks on the patio not finished yet and a bower for the grape, wisteria and jasmine for scent

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 14:16:45 »
0ne month in to my new plot  its taking a bit longer than i thought

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:39 »
Only just seen this Johhny, what a sad barstard the geezer must have been
Hope all is well any updates.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 14:21:47 »
all dug now and manured first bed planted out

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 16:10:11 »
nearly done with sprucing up the shed new umbrella today start the patio the weekend i know its around the wrong way however the umbrella was a gift and so i had to get it to the plot anyhow pics of that tomorrow weather permitting

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 21:16:24 »
Crikey, you are really doing well! You must be delighted
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 15:18:29 »
why thank you hector today i was levelling the ground ready for the concrete sat weather permitting and my new umbrella is up :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 21:09:31 »
Only just seen this Johhny, what a sad barstard the geezer must have been
Hope all is well any updates.   :wave:
yes indeed nearly all finished now a couple of hard weeks graft will have it done cement ballast and sand getting delivered sat morn its just the weather may hold me up also weeding the other two plots with this warm wet weather its weed and mow seems like all im doing nice to here from you fella #coys

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal